Tuning??

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 417
ok what does it exactly mean by tuning like say i got a box tuned to 34hz and i have another boxed tuned to 48hz which would get louder and this is for 2 12" kicker l7's i keep hearing diff things from my friends so i wanted to ask on here. I hear that if i want really really low bass but chancing to blow tune it lower but if i want really loud bass that can hit the highs nicely and also hit the lows pretty nice tune it higher? is this correct

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 454
Higher is louder.
Lower will play lower, and sound better.

But, then again it is for L7s. I would go higher, ~38-44hz region.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2061
10hz tuning FTW

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11748
box tuning is done by the dimensions of the ports you use.
tuning closer to the vehicle's resonany frequency (~55Hz usually) makes the box more efficient and thus louder, but audibly very boomy, and most people don't find this pleasant for music.
Tuning closer to the sub's Fs (usually ~25-32Hz) makes the box efficient at a lower frequency, which won't yield quite as loud a result, but it's far more "musical" and sounds much deeper, since the box characteristics for ported enclosures roll off steeply below the tuned frequency, so you won't ever hear anything below that point. You should have a subsonic filter set just below the tuned frequency anyway though, or at the same freq.
protects your sub from unloading.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us