Need Advice on amp

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 120
What's the best amp I can get for around $250? I need a mono amp, will be running it at 2 ohms. They are 2 12's Sony's yea yeah i know i know but they aren't 'that' bad. Currently they are being pushed by a audiobahn a800t or something like that. Rms on each sub is 380 max 1200. How much can i push them safely?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9715
look for a kicker kx600.1 or a jbl bp600.1 on ebay. you should be able to find them relatively cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3687
"but they aren't 'that' bad" :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
ok thanx will look into it, but what's the most i can run them at w/o blowing them?

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1157
IcePick

This amp will run your sony subs just fine.

http://www.millionbuy.com/ligs45001.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
hey joey, you don't think i'll be underpowering them? it's 2 subs and 380 rms each that's only 500 rms

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2261
Check this out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-OCTANE-R8-0-1-CAR-AMP-AMPLIFIER-800W-NEW_W0QQit emZ140096041964QQcategoryZ18797QQcmdZViewItem

Username: Crossfired

Post Number: 1
This is a killer amp for the money! very under rated.

I had one installed for about a year(before system was stolen)with 2 x 12's and cranked all day and it never even got warm. Very clean too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-GM-D510M-1000W-CLASS-D-MONO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-NEW_W0QQit emZ170092260585QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9722
go with either the kicker or JBL that I recommended or with the Phoenix gold that Marc recommended.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1163
IcePick

For what you are trying to do this amp will be fine.

http://www.millionbuy.com/ligs45001.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
thnx a lot guys for all the suggestions you all have been really helpful. I love the peeps on this board

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9735
that lightning audio amp is a better boat anchor then a amp if you get my drift!

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
is this worth the price http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D120099777940%26%26

and is it a good amp?....oh and is there any way to tell how powerful amp "should be" by the fuses?

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9741
link didn't work

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D120099777940%26%26

ok try this one sorry about that

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
wtf damn link won't work i tried it b4 i put it in :-( INFINITY 1211A REFERENCE 1516W MONO D AMPLIFIER AMP NEW Item number: 120099777940 try this sorry can't get the link to work for some reason

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1604
I don't understand this underpowering stuff. As long as you're not clipping the amp things should sound just fine with a semi-efficient subwoofer. You'd be quite surprised how little power it generally takes to get the average sealed sub to reach Xmax. Ported is an entirely different beast however.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
well, i have them in a ported box for now

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1605
oh and is there any way to tell how powerful amp "should be" by the fuses?

You can get a general idea. If you remember that power out can never exceed power in and that no amplifier is 100% efficient you can use some basic formulas to make a guess.

(1) Power = Voltage times Current or P=V*I

(2) Power out = Efficiency times Power in or Pout=eff*Pin

Every amplifier has different efficiency ratings. It depends on the type of power supply, etc., but generally you can assume 80% efficiency for class D and around 50% for class A/B.

So say you have a really good charging system that has no problem supplying 14.4 volts to a proposed class D amplifier with say 60 amps worth of fusing. Theoretically the maximum continuous output of this amp would be:

Pout = eff*Pin = eff*V*I which yields

Pout = .80*14.4*60 or 691 watts

Unfortunately fuses aren't perfect. In other words it can take a good while for them to blow so such an amp might have the capabilty of producing upwards of 1000 watts for short periods of time. This is good because music is dynamic and very rarely will an amplifier be called upon to supply a continuous amount of power for extended periods of time. If you're playng test tones however...... thats a different story.

Remember however, that just because an amplifier has ample fusing doesn't mean it WILL produce this amount of power. It just means if designed well it COULD w/o blowing fuses.

So basically you use these formulas to determine if an amp really could do the things the specs say, but this method is still pretty crude. If you see a "1000 watt" A/B amp with a 30 amp fuse you can instantly call "Shananigans" and safely say the specs are lying. However I wouldn't be so quick to call a company which produces a 1000 watt class D incorporating a 60 amp fuse a "liar".

Did that make any sense?

Sometimes it just best to do what is being done here. Ask for suggestions from people who have actually used the equipment and remember you usually get what you pay for. Buy from well reputed companies.

There's also the weight theory. Usually a well designed amp "weighs" a lot, but that method is even more imprecise.

Hope all this helps.

:-)

-Fishy

Username: Beatitdown

Post Number: 1
please just return the sony's. they are shitty and your doing them too much justice by pushing them with thatb amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
lol wish i could now :-( don't think best buy will let me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us