Power questions

Bronze Member
Username: Russ636

Post Number: 11
I have an Infiniti G35 with full options and navigation. I am running an Alpine MRD1005 that pushes 1147 rms at 14.4. I have a stinger 1 farad cap.The amp and cap read at 12.8 with the engine off and 14.2-14.5 with the engine running. I am not sure what the alternator cahrges at. I dont want to damage my car with this amp because it $600 everytime I have to go to the dealer. Is this setup safe for my cars charging system? Do I need an upgraded battery?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3684
honestly i'd take out the cap. and get a better battery and upgrade the big 3,

Battery negative to chassis
Alternator to battery positive
Chassis to engine

depending on the size of your alt., 1000wrms isn't to much power and you could get away with it. but i have also heard of less power killing one though. get rid of the cap. and see if you notice dimming. if after doing the battery and big 3 you still have dimming then you definately need a ho alt. personally i'd just get a ho alt. now and save myself the trouble.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11664
voltages sound fine.
if they start to drop lower, you may want to upgrade to a larger alternator however.

Bronze Member
Username: Russ636

Post Number: 14
The lights dim a little when the bass hits. I noticed this morning that when I am going slow and the rpms are about 1800 the car feels like it chugs when the bass hits. Is it time for a battery or alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6031
Neither. Use a DMM and measure the voltage first at idle. If you see 12.8v or higher, then you're fine. If you see 12.5v or less, then HO alternator would certainly help. You only need new batteries if they're not holding charge or is dead.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11670
the lights will just about always dim for a brief moment when bass hits.
what you're seeing is the response time for the alternator to increase the output to meet the sudden demand for more current. This is expected and acceptable.
If the lights stay dim for longer than a moment, or you use a voltage meter and see voltages droppingvelow 12VDC, then think about beefing up the charging system a bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 58
Glasswolf, is this an instance where a capacitor would prove useful? When the charging system is sufficient, but you still get some dimming in the lights?

I have this problem with my setup. A H/O alternator and big 3 are upgraded, yet when the bass hits (especially short quick bursts) I get minor dimming that really annoys me. Would a capacitor help here?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11722
yes, it can be. I've noted before that capacitors can help with latency or propagation issues, and that's a fine example. they respond faster tahn the alternator could ever dream, so they work well for this, when the alternator is big enough, but slow.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2063
OT- but do you really live on a wisteria lane, or do you watch desperate housewives?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1134
^^^^^

I would bet that he does, since he's had that in his profile since before that show went on the air.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11727
it's a desperate housewives reference.. I just like to see who notices.. haha

Sometimes it feels like I live there, though.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 2071
Nice nice, I like that show. My girlfriend got me watching it.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11738
Lynette reminds me a lot of an ex of mine. very similar attitude.. just lacking the red hair.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 2076
Lynette has blonde hair.
Bre has red hair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us