Help with chosing an amp and hooking it UP.

Bronze Member
Username: Otash

NYC, NY

Post Number: 18
Hello guys, i've got '05 Jeep Grand cherokee, with premium sound system (Boston Acoustics with 280W factory amp as it says in the manual). Recently i bought 2 new pairs of speakers - 6x9 Infinity reference (3 way, nom rms 100W, 4ohm) and 6.5 round Infinity reference (component, nom rms 90W, 4 ohm), got it installed and i dont like the way they sound , first of all the front speakers give me only base, and the whole system sound worse than before. So i guess i need to change the amp.
What power amp should i get, i dont want to spend more than 200 bucks, but i want to get smth good brandnamed, and should i do the new wiring to it? i think the old wiring will do good? the factory amp is in the trunk anyways so can i use same wires?. and also how should i use the pinouts? http://wkjeeps.com/wk_audio_pinouts.htm .Do i also need to change the front instrumental panel speaker? Thanx in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 898
The problem you're having is most likely due to the crossovers in the factory system.

A new amplifier may fix it if the X-overs are in the factory amp. You will need to either get an amp with high level inputs, or get a line out converter.

Also you will need to find out if any equalization of the audio signal is done in the headunit. If it is, you would need a device like this to fix it:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?prod_id=369

Bronze Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 19
ok, but what power amp do i need? my friend told me that i need an amp with at least 4X100 at 4 ohm. is it true?

Bronze Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 20
ok, but what power amp do i need? my friend told me that i need an amp with at least 4X100 at 4 ohm. is it true? and how do i test what kind of signal does the headunit sends to amp? I was looking on the web for specs, but couldn't find anything

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 909
Yeah thats right. And you can't really test it. Replacing the amp will most likely fix it. But if it doesn't you would have to also replace the headunit.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 21
i cant replace the head unit it has navigation in it. will it harm amp or headunit if i hook it up without testing?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us