Battery question

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 550
I am getting my EA HO 180amp alt tomorrow and installed Monday. I've had my optima yellow top for a while now and it works great. I wanted to know what exaclty be the benefit of adding a 2nd battery, say in the trunk, that would be isolated for my amps only. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 250
You wil use power from the 2nd battery instead of loading down you primary Batt and consquently the alternator. With a 2nd batt, you can also play the radio with the car off much longer. But with an HO alt, you will not need another batt, but I guess it really depends on what you are planning to run.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 554
High output is relative, since this is only 180amps. I'm just trying to make sure my charging's complete. I got the alternator, may as well get the extras if that'll make it better.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1561
Adding a battery in the trunk will only help things out while the engine is off. While the engine is running the alternator runs your system. Adding an extra battery may in fact put more stress on the alternator by requiring it to charge/maintain another energy source.

Unless you run your system parked with the engine off I wouldn't bother with an extra battery.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 563
Cool, I'll do that. My EA alt is here, will be installed Monday. I'll post how it turns out, I know there've been lots of questions about EA's quality.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 820
^^^^^^ what he said
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us