Funny smell??

Bronze Member
Username: Georgiaboy1989

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 58
hi i recently got new subs and a new amp. I got a memphis PDR.1000 and two 12" audiobahn AW1206's... now after I play my system for like 10 mins. or so I get a really funny electrical like smell in my car... anyone know what it is

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 49
probably the subs blowing.. i mean i know they say that they will take 1100 RMS power.. but thats audiobahn power.. in reall life two should handle 1000 good watts of power but then again i have a friend that blew two immortals ont he same amp you have.. soo..

Bronze Member

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 61
but damn i just got the things three days ago because I had two other ones that blew after just a month... is there anything I could be doing wrong to make them blow

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 400
Yes, I think it may be your wiring. First, check the ground, make sure it's good. What size wire did you use for power and ground connections? 4awg, 2awg? If it's too small, your wire may be burning! I doubt it's the subs because it'll take you a long time to smell that out of the box, especially if it was sealed. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Bronze Member

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 64
Ok well the box is vented and I think I have 2awg wire but it may be 4awg wire... how could I check, does it say on the wire? I also have 12awg speaker wire... could it be that?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 409
even 4awg should be ok. Are you sure it's at least 4awg though? Like really sure? Sniff everywhere in your car and see where it's coming from. Don't think it's the speaker wire. BTW, the subs are in the trunk and have no direct air connection to the cabin, right? But yeah, check for source of the smell.

Bronze Member

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 67
yeah subs are in the trunk with the back seats up and i know its at lest 4awg, but I'll sniff for the smell later and write again

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10813
could ur gains turned up too high roasting the sub's coils ......

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 730
If the subs are brand new sometimes they smell from the extra glue being burned off. I know when I had my sub when it was new it smelled a little.

Bronze Member

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 68
ok well they are brand new so I hope its just that

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4215
i'm with rovin. Check the gain

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 112
If the subs are brand new sometimes they smell from the extra glue being burned off. I know when I had my sub when it was new it smelled a little.

this is what i've been told also^

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1630
oleg... not neccicarily on the subs... I have 2 10" Pioneer IMMP subs rated at 250RMS in a sealed box, i give them about 800-1300rms after about 2-3 minutes with 1300rms i smell the VC's with a really strong smell.. turn it down it goes away, i know its the subs for sure too..

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 414
In this case, you're clearly overfeeding them by a large margin, so the smell would propogate to the cabin much faster.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4218
IMO, check the gain.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1180
That smell is your voice coil over-heating but it could be something else as well like the tinsel leads but who knows it could be a few things,the one thing that I know is that smell isn't good.You should only hear and see your audio electronics working not smell it.

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

Jackson, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 102
New subs...It is your Voice Coils heating up...take it EZ on them for a week or two giving them more power day by day, Once you break them in you should be Ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us