Speaker Cut-out size?

Bronze Member
Username: Paulmasoner

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 37
i have a box cut for a 12" speaker, the cutout is 11 1/4" . I am assuming thats standard cutout for a 12. My speaker though(kappa perfect 12d VQ) lists a cutout size of 10 7/8"

this 3/8" difference concerns me a little. should it?

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 43
bumpity bump bump

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1543
probally.. u are more then likly going to need to sand the cutouts just a 1\8 of a inch for the subs to fit in the cutout

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 44
now i am REALLY confused?? if the cutout in the box is 3/8" BIGGER than cutout size in the sub specs... why would i need to sand it and make it larger?

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1545
sh!t my bad i didnt see that was a 10... i thought it said 11 3\8 oooppps yea.. you might have a mounting issue, it might not mount in correctly, screws miss the wood, not air tight... messes with your SPL\SQ in both cases if there are air leaks.. and if the sub isnt in good it will fall out unless its firing up.. then it will stay in but still have the sound\air leak issue. your probally going to need to by piece of mdf and double up the cutout with a smaller cutout in the new board so it mounts correct.

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 45
damn i hope not, because that isnt an option.. this is a semicustom box. i dont have the tools, or skills to make a new face piece to this box that will confom to my strut towers etc..

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1552
hmmmm that might be a problem then.. the only other thing i can think of is try to find a seal to fill the missing space and screw the subs in from the outside(not in the designated screw holes but on the outside of the basket rim) with some type of washer to hold the sub down good..

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 46
screw that, if fitting is an issue like that, the box is going back, and he will send me one cut to fit the speaker i asked for!

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1555
that works to, if its a mistake from the person who made it and you told him the speakers that are goin in it.. thats his fault not yours

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 47
ya, this is just sh*tty cause i am in hawaii, he is in FL and i'm not fronting the $90 to ship this one back to him. The guy has never had a bad review that i have sen or heard, i know PLENTY of ppl that have stuff he's made. but this is BS, box wasnt $$$ about 110. but i paid $90 to have it shipped here

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1559
make him pay shipping, like i said its his mistake... as long as you have some proof that its his mistake im sure he would rather not get a bad review if he a well know person or if you payed with paypal, visa, ect file a complaint if he wont... again his mistake item not as described
but id check the speaker fittings in the box before complaining

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 48
oh yeah definately i will check first. we spoke through email earlier, and he said he would replaceit if there are any problems. he also said though that if he remembers correctly, that 11 1/4" cutout will still mount and seal a 12" kappa perfect. but if not, he is willing to replace :-) i was SOO pissed earlier.. but now that i have calmed down and spoke to him, i still have nothing but good things to say like everyone else who has dealt with him. people make mistakes, it just happens, and he was immediatly willing to take care of it if it is a prob. and either way, i cant say enough about the quality of the build.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1569
comunication is the key :-)
Bad rep. = less sales
Good Rep = More sales

so really whats a few hundred to him..not worth losing a good rep. over a mistake..

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 189
First, Never assume anything " Assumption is the mother of all Fu<kup's ".

Second, there is no standard for subwoofer cutouts based on the subwoofers size.

Third " Proper Planning Prevents Pizz Poor Performance ".

Bronze Member

Honolulu, Hawaii Usa

Post Number: 49
well i know that when you asume, you make an *ss out of u and me both. the only thing i assumed was that 11 1/4" is standard. and proper planning happened. before i even placed my order we discussed a couple differents speakers, and if the mounting DEPTH would work in this box. even though depth was the main issue discussed, because he knew what speaker i was getting, should've been able to make the cut out right. But like i said, after talking to him, he is still showing great PR. Accidents happen, this guy builds great boxes though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us