Ground question

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 375
Since more people seem to like this section, I'll repost here... Recently the ring terminal for my ground (sub amp) broke and I got this other weird connector that looks like an amp speaker terminal with a ring. I noticed that it sometimes starts to get really hot and causes my system to cut in and out. Also, that amp's ground is connected to the same place as my other amp's and they are touching - is that a problem also? Any advice's appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11546
lol...just go buy a new ring terminal...and i would use 2 separate grounds

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 376
I knew it was as simple as that, but the 2 were made from the same material or at least it looked so. Friggin sux

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 227
Why use two different grounds? A common ground is one of the easiest ways to avoid a groundloop. If two grounds are used, the devices being grounded may see a different resistance. This discrepancy in resistance can lead to unwanted noise in the system. Idealy, every component in the vehicle should be grounded through a distribution block to a single point on the frame, with appropriate gauged wire of course. At the very least, ground them in as close proximity to each other as possible. just my 2 cents.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 386
ah ok, then i just need to replace the weird ring thing then, it's probably not very conductive. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 228
Just make sure you have a good connection to the frame. Use a wire brush to clean the area around the hole the bolt will go through. Use two star washers on either side of the bolt. If you feel your ground is insufficient, find another place for it. Where the seat belt attaches to the frame is generally a good place to put a ground if it is convienently located.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us