Username: Kklagge

San Diego

Post Number: 408
that's too small of a pile

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1200
this forum is quick to jump on the "it's crap" bandwagon unless the item in question is one of a very few high quality brands.

The fact of the matter is, depending on your needs that amp may be exactly what you're looking for.

Here's a pic of the older C3000D, but I would guess they're very similar internally...

Upload

It's rated for 1700w at 2 ohms. I wouldn't expect it to produce that much power, 1000-1200 is probably realistic.
For ~$200 new or ~$165 refurb I would consider it a good option for someone on a budget.
As with most every budget brand - the question is how long will it last?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3351
you got to think though opti, 165 might be good but it may only last a year or two. where as you spend a little more you get something that will hold up nicly.

or just look on ebay or other forums there are plenty of decnent 1200rms amps that got for 200-250

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4190
^^^^ i'm with optidriven, for the price you can't go wrong. And matt, 1 year or 2 is a lot with a 165 amp, so hell yeah jump on it if you can't afford better.

I'd try hifonics or lanzar optidrive instead...

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 492
hifonics FTW, their good amps for the price

Username: Kaimana

Post Number: 7
Ma Audio...

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Qnited States of FI Ca...

Post Number: 866

quote:

this forum is quick to jump on the "it's crap" bandwagon unless the item in question is one of a very few high quality brands.

It really is...example.

Here is a Power Acoustik A3000DB

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Power_Acoustik_A3000dB/

has the same board as this Planet Audio

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Power_Acoustik_A3000dB/

read the birthsheet of the Planet Audio....

Upload

I've had my PA A3000DB for almost as long as I have been on this forum (almost a year). I've ran it at 2 ohms and 1 ohm with no problems. <---on a stock charging system.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4192
nice jesse D.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 372
Very true, a lot of "it's crap" stuff can actually do someone very well depending on need and budget. I started out with a pair of power acoustik amps, one got stollen, and 1 started showing signs of death recently. For something that cheap, you can make it last a while if used carefully.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10769
while some of the "low ranking" amps do put out i think we should always advise ppl to always buy better - save ur $ until u can afford better ......

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 379
You're not getting the whole picture though. If you're young, with little money, and can't wait...guess what? No way you're saving up for a year to get that JL amp just so you can't afford any subs or speakers. You will get a cheaper amp, cheaper speakers, cheaper subs, etc. Why? You're young and anxious. Is it going to sound as good and last as long if you bought something more expensive? Probably not. Will it sound decent enough and last long enough? It probably will. I went through this myself and some of the "it's crap" brands let me have some fun for less.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

CashMoney, 15 Hd3 USA

Post Number: 944
True rovin. Cause if u on a budget thats fine, but if u want quality and amp that will put out more then rated, save some cash and u wont have any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 232
I'm sure that amp has an awful dampening factor. I'm sorry, but I don't care how much power it puts out. Its still overated and low quality. I don't buy stuff that says "BOSS" on it. Just a personal principle.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 387
Most of the time it's true. If you give us a budget and the subs that you need to power, I'm sure we can find a similarly priced amp for you that will do the subs justice.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1205
I learned a ton back in my days of <$100 amps.

I learned american hi-fi isn't half bad, and a pyramid will last 10 years +. Targa's are decent and the old black Lanzar Vibe's were pretty respectable.

I put a DHD in my boat last summer to run a pair of 150w 8" tower speakers and it's by far the best $40 I've ever spent on an audio item.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 388
Hey optidriven, what ever happened to GlassWolf? He was so awesome and gave the best input ever.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1207
beats me. haven't seen him for months

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5971
GlassWolf and Jonathan are at another site. Don't remember what it was called but they post there often.
Opti, what Pyramid amp did you have that lasted 10 years? I know they used to make good power supplies. I still have it from 10 years ago.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1211
PB600 gold series.
I was about 15 when I bought it ('91-'92). Cost $140 at the time, and that was $10 over dealer cost.

That thing was tortured. I had a '79 Datsun truck and the amp just sat under the seat directly on the steel floorboard -- sliding around, banging off who knows what. It would shut down thermally every now and then, but it survived.
It was retired for a few years, then used in a boat for another couple years, another bad environment, then I sold it to a guy I work with for $30 for HIS boat, then he sold the boat a few months later. That was 2 summers ago, as far as I know it's still functioning.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3394
glass, johnathan, mo, mixineffect can all be found at caraudiocenteral.net

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1760
^^Sounds like the place to be lol.

Everywhere I look to try to find the fuse rating on that Boss amp, it says n/a. Hmmm wonder why?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5976
Opti you had a truck at 15? Man at that age, I only had 2 legs and a pair of running shoes for transportation.
It seems like 80's and 90's were all about quality not quantity. Did society become too greedy over the years?
For those missing Glasswolf and others, we still have some knowledgeable people here, so don't worry, be happy. I'm sure you all know who they are...

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1215
Well, I was 14 when my brother left for college, and my parents gave him our '84 Turbo Coupe for Christmas the same year. So yeah, the truck was officially mine at 14-1/2. It was a piece, but it got me where I was going.

Getting in and out of that truck with a pair of 10's behind the seat was comical, even for a kid 5'10" and a buck fifty. Driving it wasn't any easier.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1216
I'd say the 80's and 90's were about quality over quantity because quantity (power) was so freaking expensive.

Technology has made power so affordable I think people are just using more because they can afford it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us