How to run it?

Bronze Member
Username: Shaftofair

Post Number: 57
I need to give life to an 18" LMS-5400 (QVC .5 ohms) that's on it's way, but all the options are confusing. Using one amp, I can present it with .5, 8, or 2 ohms from what I've read.
Using two amps, I can present them with 1 or 4 ohms.
Using four amps, I give them each 2 ohms.

I've heard that running amps at lower ohms gives more watts, but less damping factor (splits it between speakers as well as lowering) and vice versa. I was thinking to get best of both worlds I could use an amplifier (1000w or 500w 2ohm?) on each voice coil and push it like that. I'm not clear on this subject so thank you for help.
If that is the best of both worlds (or if there's a better way) then please guide me towards a good amp to take this task.

I don't really have a budget, I just don't want overkill (more than 4k watts total).

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4358
My vote...

Incriminator Audio 40.1

Rated 3600wrms @ 1ohm...will take .5ohm daily w/ no problem. That amp is also underrated :-)

I would go w/ a ~250a alt, new batt up front, and batt next to the amp. 4 runs or 1/0 wire :-).

If you want to go w/ a lil less power...try a kicker zx2500.1 (or kx2500.1). Rated 2500wrms @2ohm....actually do ~2750wrms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
I think that maybe using this as a good SQ amp x4 would give that deep, clean bass definition I want? http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3742

I also wonder how using a higher power zapco amplifier or using Brax (how are these) for their lifetime warranty. Thanks for clarifying this. I think the ~2500w would be enough for the one LMS-5400, but if I needed more power how would this do for 4800w total? It'd be about the same price anyway. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=590

How would those 2 compare in SQ terms (really like the w/meters, but also like the power) ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Oh, didn't see that. Thanks! Looks like plenty of power! I'll take a look at that..right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Whoa lol, but I don't think that I'm trying to win a DB Drag Competition here.

It's going in a sealed box probably since it's more of an SQ setup. They also recommend using PR's if I want more SPL, but without port chuffing. We don't need to talk about boxes yet though, so what do you think of using those amps? I really like that wattmeter.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4359
I would try to give that sub 2000wrms at the very least .

2500-3000 is more the range I would want though.

You would be better of going w/ 1 large amp due to efficiency. A zapco c2k 9.0x would give you 2200w+ at 2ohm, that would be a nice choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
How much power would 4 amps at 4800rms total take compared to one at the same power or 2400w with the McIntoshes? Wouldn't one big amp sacrifice SQ (slew rate? damp factor?) since it has to split that between voice coils?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4123
if it's a good amp, you don't have to worry about damping factor and slew rate too much. IF you're buying zapco, forget about those problems lol!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us