Fine tuning my system

Username: Dchrsf

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, I'm new on this board yet have been reading for a few days. I hope to learn a lot about audio, but I have a little complication I need to clear out of my head first.

My cars is not getting loud nor punchy enough for my likings (ha isn't this everyone..but let me explain)

I'm relying on 2 Polk ex693a's (3-way 6x9 coaxial from the late 90's) mounted in the rear deck to produce bass in my system since 4x6 speakers are not good at this. I don't get much undistorted at the volume I like. Any sort of bass added to the equation (including mid bass) is far too distorted for the system to sound clean. What my system does do well is Highs and midrange vocals all around, but more-so towards the rear. The 6x9's bass and midrange is loud, yet adds distortion into the mix at the volume I like it at (everything is distortion free at very low volumes with no HPF) in which is a no-no, and I need to do something about the rear fill which I hear is bad. http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Simple right? Replace the rear speakers and move the fade to the front a little. Add a sub for bass.
Well I have come up with a few possibilities in my head and need the experts to tell me which is more viable and which would make it sound the best in the long run. I want to do this step by step. I want to work on the sound stage with the 4 speakers first then get a sub later as an addition to the already clear strong vocals, deep voices and sparkling tweeters. I can live with little bass and clear everything else for a few months while I save up.

If I could some how balance out these 2 sets of speakers and reduce distortion at certain freq the drivers are meant to produce (leave of course deep bass to a sub) I'd like to do it.

In the current situation I'm thinking:

a.) Get a 4-ch amp for the 4x6's and 6x9's instead of an amp just for the 6x9s. This will keep all speakers balanced and the rear wont overpower fronts anymore. Get a sub if needed.

b.) Amp a new set of 6x9's with a 2-ch amp, then move fade up to front a little more keeping 4x6's power by HU. Get a sub if I need it.

c.) Get a sub/mono-amp, set HPF to 125hz produce a little underpowered set of 4 speakers, but with no distortion on the 4 coaxials. Then move fade little more to the front. Have sub produce bass notes from mid bass all the way to low notes. (is this a stretching it?)

Well, that's about it. Lemie list specs of my system:

Pioneer DEH-6800MP HU - Probably 15w RMS x 4?
2x Pioneer TS-A4670R 4x6 3-way coaxial-600hz Bass Blockers - 15sq. ft SS Damplifier on door
2x Polk ex693a 6x9 3-way coaxial - Cotton Balls to cushion against frame

Stock speaker wiring

If you got this far you get a cookie!!!! Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us