Amp turns off when bass stops

Username: Georgiaboy1989

Post Number: 1
I've got two 12" subwoofers hooked up to a 4000 watt amp and a stock head unit in a 2006 dodge charger. Whenever a song has a lot of bass and then the bass stops the amp turns itself off. It also turns off if I change songs while the bass is hitting... Could someone please tell me whats wrong or at least tell me if the problem is in my headunit, amp, subwoofers, wiring etc.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1438
are you using a convertor to change the speaker level outputs on the back of the deck to RCA level? or does your amp have a high level input? you could be overloading the amp. what is the model of your subs and amp?

Post Number: 2
yes i am using a converter to turn it into RCA. the subs are audiobauhn flaming Q's and the amp is a Lanzer VIBE286. I think the amp just might be a peace of crap cause now it keeps blowen fuses... I hate it and i think i might get a new one... but help would still be good in the meantime

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1440
Yeah, Lanzar is not so good, but you might try running less of a load to the amp. Are those dual voice coil subs? What ohms are they? You know that is a 2 ohm amp in stereo and only a 4 ohm amp in bridged mode. Make sure thats how the subs are wired

Post Number: 8
I dont really understand the whole Ohms thing. The subs say they are dual 4 ohm voice coil.It also says they are capable of two ohm and 8 ohm operation. Right now their wired like this. The amp is bridged and the wires are going into the positive of one side of the sub and the negative of the other side of the same sub. Then I have a peace of wire connecting the other positive and negative side of that sub to eachother. Then the wires go from this sub to the other. This pic may help... it will open with any picture viewer.
image/x-bmpUpload
sub2-322965.bmp (98.4 k)

Post Number: 10
This picture is actually betterUpload

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1441
and you have the amp bridged right?

Bronze Member

Kennesaw, Georgia

Post Number: 16
yeah

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1447
do you have a voltmeter? if so then disconnect the speakers from the amp and test the ohms of the speaker wire. you should get a reading of like 3.22 maybe. If its significantly lower then check the speaker wiring and make sure that you have it wired like the picture. next turn the radio on and watch the voltage at the amp. If you see the voltage go below 12v then check your wiring. make sure all of the ground and positive connections are secure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us