Sony amp going into protection mode

Bronze Member
Username: Gibson5469

Post Number: 50
I got this 600w (max) 4 channel sony amp from a friend for free (it's brand new). Im bridging the rear channel to run my Kicker Comp (single coil 4ohm).

The gain is set less than half way and the amp is going into protection mode??

I've used a multimeter on the ground and power wire at the amp, got a clean 13v (same as measured at the battery)

Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/products2/?sfID1=26&productID=1642&walmartProduc tID=4694342

this is the amp im using.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
since i can't edit my posts for some reason,

I wired everything up using a Monster Cable 650w wiring kit (8 gauge power/ground cable with a 40a inline fuse by the battery) I'm also using a factory grounding point under the rear seat ( it's where the automatic transmission computer is grounded in cars with an a/t tranny)

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 966
Your link doesn't work properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
sorry about the link.

well i figured out the problem, my box was way too small for the sub. i mounted it basket out style and it works 100% fine.

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 115
i think it might be getting too hot or your running too low of ohms on your amp or could be your wiring

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
ran it for over an hour like this (with no problems at all) amp is 2ohm stable (so 4ohm's is the minimum for a bridged channel, which the sub is)

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/6181/p1000510dz1le3.jpg

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 59
"box too small for the sub" doesn't make an amp go into protect mode. Sony amps are basically stable to no less than 4 ohms, they say 2 but they'll shut down at that. It should theoretically work bridged at 2 ohms but don't bet money on it long term.

Garbage amp, but free's free.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
would the basket of the sub being less than 0.5 of an inch from the back wall of the box cause this? I mean, nothing else was changed besides flipping the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
It would make no difference whatsoever unless you rewired them at a higher impedence.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
idk then. nothing else was changed. it's still running off of the bridged rear channel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Then you're stoked. Wait'll you hear how good your sub sounds on a real amp. Quite a difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
what amp would you recommend for powering this one kicker.

the cheaper the better lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us