Kicker KX550.3 and MTX4500 thunderform

Username: F250

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I have acquired this used gear and want to upgrade my F250 super cab.

I was told the sub or amp would shut off when turned up with alot of bass. I don't know zip about matching components. Is the problem the MTX sub or amp?

KX550.3 amp
CDT Audio 5-1/4 component speakers satelite and crossover(80 watts RMS)
10" MTX thunderform 4500, not amp'd (came from a toyota tacoma)I think it is 4ohm 225 watt rms.
Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 223
Ok, 1st thing is 1st. Are you saying some told you it would cut off, or you have it hooked up, and it does cutt off ? Cause the way I see it, that amp may not be the best match for the sub (less you are sure about the subs impeadance, then its about perfect), but you should for NO reason be experiencing any problems as such with the above combo. You should be fine unless there is an impedance mismatch or damaged amp (sub portion)

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 2
I heard it do this a while back when it was still in my friends car, but only when turned up with hard kick'n bass. Seems the sub would shut off and then come back on quickly fading back up.

Pardon me, I don't know squat about tech, specs, etc, so why might this not be a good match?
What is the weak link, the amp or the MTX sub? From the manual, the amps sub power is 210 watts rms 14.4 V, 4ohm mono. 420watts @ 2 ohm. I think it is a class D amp for the sub portion.

I would like to keep the amp and get a new sub that fits in my F250.

Thanks man!

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 229
Actually, assuming the sub is 4 ohm, it would all be a perfect match, but if the amp is shutting off, it could just be damaged. Now if the sub is 1 ohm by means of DVC (which I dont see they make any like that), then its uderstandable why it would cut off. But you said the woofer was 4ohms, so should not be an issue. One of them needs to be replaced unless its an electical or impedance issue.

Ok, so when it shuts off, how long does it take for it to fade back on ? And how long does it take for it to shut off, or is it merely volume associated. Also, do any lights on the amp cut off or turn on when this happens?

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 3
The MTX subwoofer is 4 ohm. Here is where my lack of tech shows...how do I know if the amp running at 4 or 2 ohms?

The amp was bought brand new by my friend and he hardly used it and it always behaved this way.

It shuts off immediatley following certain strong bass kicks at hi volume, I don't know if it is distorting and then shutting off. Turn the HU volume down a bit and it comes back on in a few seconds. I have never seen the amp when this happens

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/thunderforms/TTP10_spec s.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us