Ohms, 2 or 1

Username: 98jettajim

Post Number: 1
I have two kicker L5's. Pretty good subs, i want to upgrade to a good mono amp. My subs are dual voice coil, 4 ohms. 1. i dont know how to wire that up. i currently have a 4 channel legacy ice amp,2000watts at 4 ohms(that blows because its so overated). i had them wired so it was bridged when it came to my box and then i split the positive and negative wire to have two of each so it matched my terminals. wired that way my amp would shut off but it hit really hard. now its wired one wire to the neg, one to the pos, and the other neg and pos are connected to each other. the amp doesnt shut off now but it doesnt hit as hard. my question is, should i go with one ohms, or two ohms for the amp. and why was it hitting so hard before?

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

SSDs, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 657
well obvisously, if you have an amp thats 1 ohm stable you want to do that, cause of more power. the reason your amp was shutting off was cause you were bridging it, not all amps are bridgeable. but amps also run cooler at 2 ohms, so thats a plus. look at kicker amps. they are really nice

Silver Member

SSDs, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 659
well obvisously, if you have an amp thats 1 ohm stable you want to do that, cause of more power. the reason your amp was shutting off was cause you were bridging it, not all amps are bridgeable. but amps also run cooler at 2 ohms, so thats a plus. look at kicker amps. they are really nice

Silver Member

SSDs, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 661

Bronze Member
Username: Ckelley

Post Number: 59
dont quote me on this but since those are dual 4 ohm subs it can only be ran at either 1 or 4 ohms. the same thing happened to me. my amp was cutting off when i had it wired to one ohm but switched it and wired the subs to 4 ohms (like you did) and it doesnt cut off but doesnt hit as hard.
get an amp thats stable at 1 ohm

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1169
something around 1000w at 1 ohm would be ideal.

On a budget you could go with the hifonics bx1205d - http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14803

If you want something higher quality you can check out -
Lanzar opti1400d - http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14078

powerbass asa1000.1d -
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5233

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4058
optidriven... is that powerbass asa good rated?? i saw a bunch of them really cheap on ebay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us