Big Three Fuse?

Username: Nicoletompson8

Roseville, Ca USA

Post Number: 10
I have a question about the power wire running from the alt. positive terminal to the battery positive terminal. Is the fuse in between these two points suppose to be rated for the max amp. of the wire or the max amp. of the alternator? Thanks guy's for any help!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2890
your not supposed to fuse that wire. HO alt companies reccomend against it.

Bronze Member

Roseville, Ca USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks Mat. I've been getting mixed responses like your supposed to fuse it to 80% ampere of the power wire or fuse it to the max ampere of the alternator.

Bronze Member

Roseville, Ca USA

Post Number: 13
Also, if your not supposed to fuse it, then why is the stock wire fused between these two points? Thanks!

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2897
i dont know why they fuse it but, like i said most people dont, i dont, and HO manufactures say not to

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 247
I would trust mat dope because he knows his stuff and I also agree.

Bronze Member
Username: Brady_f

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 92
mat i have an 06 mustang and i was wondering the same ?. I am in the process of doing the big 3...done all put bat+ to alt+. My stock is not fused. I was worried that if i didnt fuse between these points i could get a short and batt blow up..and so on. SO i would be fine not fusing, b/c that would save me a trip into town.lol

Bronze Member
Username: Brady_f

Waco, Texas USA

Post Number: 96
^kinda one of those things that i need to know today...but i guess if my batt. blows through the roof, then theres always the warranty. No fuse it is..

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2987
sorry havnt been online to answer. anyway you should be fine without a fuse. just keep the wire kinda short and possibly wrapped in looming and strapped to the sides so its out of the way and nothing can happen to it.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 9897
yep i don't fuse either. i just wrapped it and put it away from anything that can cause it to melt the cable.

when you guys do the big 3 you should leave all the stock wiring alone and just add the 0 gauge cable for the big 3.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2995
actualyl chad iv found out that is a bad idea. on the alt. end you should not connect the stock wire just wrap it up. i cant remember exactly why i guess because it has the possiblity to short out and whatnot

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 9915
i asked B, isaac, seth lowe, and polo and they all told me to just leave the factory wire there and add on the big 3. after i got the alt, i called dom and he told me the same thing.

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4190
hey man, I would listen to Chad, he has been through that many times!

actually leaving the stock wires, will actually HELP! the stock wires can power your starter, and other cars electronics which they were intended to do... (even if their 10ga)

your upgraded wire, can then utilize ALL its flow potential for your systems needs. (charging batt, flowing to amps)

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 976
The stock wire can also start on fire though if too much current gets sucked through it and it becomes too hot lol.This is very rare because electricity takes the path with the least resistance which would be your thicker wire because of a more solid connection to the resistor.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us