Really dumb noob hooking up car amp Help!

Username: Quartarian

Post Number: 1
OK so I was decding whether or not to buy an amp with a gift card I got for best buy, when I stumbled accros a free fuse. SO I went head and bought the amp then used orange power cable (extension cord) to hook it up. (power line and ground). Then I ran the REM out of my antenna wire. THe problem is I cant get my amp to turn on. Ive decided im going to buy an amp installation kit, but I wanted to make sure that my antenna wire is actually working as an REM. I figured that the high gage extension cord would at least allow it to power up. Im driving a 93 Ford Tempo. HElp please!

Post Number: 3
Oh yea this is with factory head

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1894
Am I getting this right...

You used an EXTENSION CORD to hook up your amp?

LMAO

That is the first I have heard of that before!

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1759
Use a "jumper" from the amps rem to the amps power connection. This will tell you if it is working. May I suggest an old spark plug wire with the boots cut off for a jumper. Also, coat hangers work well too!

Bronze Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 39
u need to buy an amp kit and a stereo harness so u can have a remote to hook up to your amp

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2090
make sure your fuse isnt blown... the inline one and the ones in the amp

also make sure ur remote wire is perfect.... to test it run a small wire from the 12v power on the amp to the REM on the amp...but dont keep it like that bc ur amp will stay on forever

Bronze Member
Username: Notoriousroc1

Post Number: 22
i took a car battery charger and connected the - and + leads using 4 awg wire

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1398
Just use paper clips daisey chaned together to make one really long wire for your power wire, ground, and remote. If the power wire and/or remote wire start to spark up, just use duct tape to insulate them. Remember, it aint fun till someone gets hurt, then its hillarious. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Notoriousroc1

Post Number: 23
or you could tear the power wire out of any household electronic and cut it into two pieces, (- and +) then run some rca's out of a ps2 or sumthin and connect the + and - to a battery charger

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 418
or you could buy an amp kit......

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 920
yeah. dont be cheap. do it right the first time man

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio DD Z1 you wi...

Post Number: 178
is your hu an aftermarket one? if it is there could be a power antenna and a amp wire in the back, blue/white stripe and a blue one, the power antena on some don't send power unless the radio is selected..Maybe this is your problem and if its a oem hu still could be the problem but won't have the amp rem on back just the power antenna so buy an aftermarket hu lol

Post Number: 5
Thanks everyone for all the sugestions and help. My wiring kit will be coming in the mail prob by the end of the week. All the fuses are ok and I tried bridging the REM an 12+ ports but that didnt work either. My new quesiton though, is, when I get the kit, if it turns out my hu (Oem) turns out not to have a powered antenna, how do I go about hooking up the REM to a fuse? I have my car manual so I know where the radio fuse is. Any ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us