Amp wiring

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 803
so im gunna run 0awg(red) from my battery to my dist. block and then run 4awg(blue) to my amps, then the 4awg(gray) as my grounds on each amp, my question is, will it affect nehting using 4awg for my grounds b/c of my power wire being larger, im jsut trying to see if i can ground the amps with out having to purchase another
dist block, and lastly is that the proper way to run seperate grounds for the amps(running them to the same spot?)
image/bmpUpload
ano wiring.bmp (14.7 k)

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1897
That way is fine, you don't need another distro block to ground them. Just make sure that you are using 4 gauge to ground EACH amp and running the ground to the same spot is fine too.

Becuase (2) 4awg cables pretty much will equal a 1/0awg cable.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 804
thanks alot isaac i wasnt sure b/c i heard that ur ground should be the same size if not bigger then ur power wire, but the way u said it makes sense(two 4awg wires are almost equal to a 1/0 awg wire)

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1052
Basically for the groun you jsut want to make the cables as short as possible when using the same size wires, unless the wires are bigger then recommended. Alot of times you wont even have any troubles with your ground unless its just a cr@p connection, in that case you will feel the wire getting warm..or if its pulling to much current..which would probally mean your wire was to short... and as for grounding them all to the same place thats fine as long as each amp is grounded by its own cable and NOT like a daisy chain from the other amps.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5832
Car's chassis is equivalent to 4gauge wire. Therefore, if your current requirement is less than or equal to 4 gauge, then you're fine. If however, you need more, then you might want to run a thicker ground cable to the amps.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1056
that raises a good question.... how much power are you trying to pull, any electrical system upgrades? If you doing 2K or more you may want to consider a dedicated ground from the Alt. but im guessing your not doing much power because no battery in the trunk....(grounding amps to chassis gave that away)

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 805
im most likely gunna be running 1400-1600rms@1ohm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us