Amps on Box??

Bronze Member
Username: Skibum12189

Post Number: 43
How bad would it be to mount my two kicker amps on top of my triple sub box. A kid told me elemental designs covers it under warranties. The amps are brand new and its three 350-400 watt rms sealed box subs.....

Tell me what you think bc itd look 100x cooler in my opinion

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2084
nah dont mount on the box, put them beside the box or in front of but not on. could damage the amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
what if i built an extra piece on top to mount em on, like a regular rectangle box, but then like a 45 degree angle piece to mount em angled to the rear of the car?

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2086
thatll help, just dont mount them directly on the box cause it can damage them. but if you add more of a "buffer zone" it'll be better. ive heard, i dont know this for a fact, but if you can get rubber and put it under the amp or something it will reduce the vibrations coming onto the amp. i dont know if this is true or not but it does sound kind of logical. someone else will have to tell you about that tho.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 RE XXX[:-]

Post Number: 4378
could you put the amp somewhere else?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2321
An amp needs a solid mount. The reason mounting an amp to a box is a bad idea is because the flex of the panels. This can cause broken solder joints and other electrical component in the amp to fail. Think about this, all it takes if for ONE single leg on an output fet to break and you will lose the rest of your amp. The output stages fail in a cascading effect and this will be costly. Make a piece of MDF the sidze of the amp you want to mount. Find a spot closest to any internal bracing, bolting the panel down first then the amp to it. If at all possible, mount it to the top or to a whole different place. Keep us posted... Polo.. :-)

PS-Adding a layer of rubber will not help with frlex, maybe with vibes a bit but remember most vibration we deal with it airborn, so the rubber may even amplify this effect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
What if i built my box and everything with like a rectangle and then put like a big amp rack on top and put dynamat or some edead under the carpet and then screwed my amps onto that mdf. Would that sufficiently stop the flex or is it still not worth the risk

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 44
If you use good quality thick fiber board you should be fine. I've done it with every amp I've ever owned 6 years and going and none have fried/broke because of it. Your amp is getting almost as much vibration if it's close to the box anyway.
I've heard horror stories of parts being rattled loose on a box some guy built out of an old wal-mart dresser, but I haven't had problems.
Just don't go mounting it to some rice-board box and you should be fine. The key is to use good wood. Mount an extra board if you want to protect it further.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2131
"PS-Adding a layer of rubber will not help with frlex, maybe with vibes a bit but remember most vibration we deal with it airborn, so the rubber may even amplify this effect."

i lose, someone suggested it to someone else and i read it and it souded logical but polo is a genius. thanks for clearing that up for me polo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us