How do u wire an amp for highs

Bronze Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 18
im pretty good at hooking up amps and subs and equalizers but im trying to hook a lil 300 watt visonik amp up to some jl audio 5.5" inch speakers and i can not figure out how to get the highs i hooked it up according to the owners guide i hooked up the left + and the left - and the ground to the chasis but when i connect the speakers i only get bass and no highs even though the rca cables are not connected im lost can anyone help?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Orion 1200D For Sale, Hit me up

Post Number: 4143
Is there any switches on the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2021
a sub amp isnt gonna be able to power speakers, unless you can set the cross over to "all" which i doubt any mono amps have

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Then doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of having rca cables for ur lows and the other hookup for the highs y would it matter wich connection u use if ur still just going to get bass

Gold Member

Post Number: 2025
rcas are when u have an aftermarket head unit. when it says "low level input" for the rcas, that doesnt mean low frequency. the "high level input" is when u dont have a aftermarket cd player, and u just run the speaker wire to it. a sub amp(1 channel amp) is not made for speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
then y is the the rca labeled low input and the other high input

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8627
because the low level is measured in volts like Blaine said it doesnt mean low Frequency. The high level input is again like Blaine said for a stock head unit without RCA output's. It sounds to me like you have your LPF on when running mids it should be set to full or HPF.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2027
raymond, is it a mono(1-channel) amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
yeah it is a mono amp but i just got confused dayum that sucks well now i got this question can i burn my head unit from connecting to many speakers to it i allready got 2 4.5" speakers and 4 6.5" in speakers and wanted to add two more 5.5" jl audios is that too much for my head unit its a pioneer i dont know wich one exactly but its a newer one with graphics if that helps

Gold Member

Post Number: 2034
your head unit has only got a 4 channel amp...so if u put two speakers to one channel..itll make a 2 ohm load, which you HU will not be able to handle and my fry it

just get 4 good speakers

if ur car came with 6 speakers, you get get a wiring harness for the head unit and u should be good...but if ur just straight up taking the wire leads from the back of the head unit to the speakers...do not use more than 4 speakers....1 per channel.

if u want more speakers, u need an amp

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8636
exactly^ and if you do go the amp route make sure it is class A/B not class D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us