JL 500/1 worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Whitewonder

Post Number: 32
I'm looking into buying a JL 12W6V2 or 13W6V2 and am looking for amplifier to go with this setup. The matching solution would be the 500/1, but it seems so expensive for a 500watt amp. Is it worth it? If not, what other amps would be good for these subs. I am looking for SQ. I don't know if it matters, but this is what else I'm thinking of getting.

Premier DEH-780MP
CDT HD-62

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 307
look at hifonics. there good amps for a good price. from what ive herd they are a damn good bang for your buck.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4597
the 500/1 is a solid amp, and will never cause you one problem. there are of course other solutions for a 500 watt amp b/c jl is a bit pricey. look into a crossfire amp. i think they make a VR600 amp that would work well i believe

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 218
Yes bassman3! great suggestion!!!!!!! Crossfire amps are rated at 12.4 volts instead of 14.4 so they are under-rated but the JL is an amp that produces 500 rms from 2-4 ohms. Can work with lots of VC configurations. Crossfire VR600D is more like 900 watts rms at 1 ohm @ 14.4 volts.

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 373
I got a JL e1400d(http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=399) powering my 12w6v2 and it does a great job you can find them new for around $230 or so or at least thats what i paid for mine even got the two year warrenty on it. but its pretty hard to beat the 500/1 but like you it was a bit pricey so i decided to get the the other and maybe later I'll get the 500/1 or maybe not at all, it really depends.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1151
I have the 12w6v2 with a jl 500/1 and love it. Slammin little setup for just about a grand. depending on where you shop.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 324
JL is over rated, go with a Crossfire!

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
if you look real good you can find great deals there have been a few 500/1 amps on craigslist that go for $150 and up but my system i got real lucky a 12w6v2,E1400d for $480 no tax with warrenties

Username: Cadi_sittin_on_l7s

Indiana

Post Number: 1
i have had them all man. jl, kicker, mtx, audiobahn.... You name i have probably had it. Sad to say my favorite brand, Kicker, didnt last long. All of these amps are decent. Jl is by far the best though compared to everything but planet audio. i bought a 850 watt planet audio for under $200! This will outrate any amp on the market, and look at the price. it is a new company but it is solid. check it out!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4603
kicker does last long

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
not there subs though

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4605
the L series dont. but their V series subs do pretty well

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 373
i get my 500/1 sometime between today and christmas....im excited.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 378
i got my 500/1 yesturday and its very much worth it with the 13w6 you've got a perfect match, i've been giving some thought to replacing my d6 with a 13w6

with the 500/1 and a w6 thats one hell of a SQ setup IMO

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3773
some1 read benny's post??

"jl is overrated"

their prices, not their quality or output

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
JL isn't overated their prices are high because of the quality and output just like luxury cars you get what you pay for. JL has really good waranties, I just sent an amp in cuase i was having problems with it and even though it was past the waranty date like buy a couple of months or so they still fixed it and sent it back to me free of charge. and it was my fault that the amp blew in the first place which in the manual says its not coverd by the warrenty. they have great customer service as well you hardly ever have to wait to talk to someone there and their really understanding and don't try to work the warrenty to their advantage and not give you anything ovrall it seems they just want to make you happy. Which I think is rare to find most things nowadays same thing with pioneer premier I absolutly love their waranties as well. I don't care what the rant is on JL I've had good experiences with them so as far as I'm consernd if you hate them you've never had'em so you can't really have an opinion
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us