Is this a good amp?

Username: Witchywoman3817

Post Number: 8
First off, thanks for all the great advice on my last post. Now, as I said before, I have 2 12" Infinity Reference 1242w 4 ohm dvc subs. They need 60-300 wrms (150w per voice coil) apiece. Crutchfield suggested the Rockford Fosgate Punch P5002 2 channel. Rated 125 wrms x 2 @ 4 ohms, 250 wrms x 2 @ 2 ohms, actual around 160 wrms x 2 @ 4 and 320 wrms x 2 @ 2 ohms. I have a 93 Geo Storm (hatchback) but hope to get another car soon and put subs in trunk. In your opinion, is this a good amp to use and a good amp in general? I read in another post that it wasn't and some reviews say it gets hot, but I know, overall, Fosgate is a great brand. If I do get it, how should I wire it up? Thanks for your help in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4572
you would hook a sub to each channel of the amplifier, and then run the subs @ 2 ohms each. RF makes fantastic amplifiers, and they always perform

wire each sub like this:

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3740
bassman, he has two dual 4 ohm subs. If he does that then he will burn the amp because of the load. You need 600w rms at 4 ohms or 1 ohm.

If your budget is low then grab audiobahn a8002T and bridge it

Post Number: 9
Thanks to you two!

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1066
No Julio, Bassman's suggestion is one sub per channel at 2 ohms stereo. Should work fine.

However, I would suggest bridging the amp and going this route...

Upload

power will be the same. The only difference is it's mono which takes any stereo seperation between the subs out of the equation. Slightly preferable over 2 ohms stereo, but either way should work fine.

Concerning the RF amp. It's a solid amp, and should be plenty powerful to do a good job. The only consideration IMO is efficiency. If your vehicle's alternator is good and strong it's probably not worth making a change. But if you want to make life easier on your electrical system you might want to consider a class D amp. Something around 600w at 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3754
sorry... my bad.. i thought it was a mono amp

Post Number: 10
Thank you so much!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thank you so much! I actually already have the amp now so can't use a different one. Going to check my alt and see if I need a cap. Anyone know where to get the best deal on the wires?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2787
check your alt to see if you need a cap? no you don't need one. for wires, http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1085
a cap is a want/don't want issue, not </i>need/don't need<i>. Never a necessity IMO.<br>
<br>
If you have a teeny tiny alternator (it would have to be teeny tiny for 500-600w to be a problem) a cap won't help anyway.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1086
Wow, nice formatting --
I think I'll try again.

a cap is a want/don't want issue, not need/don't need. Never a necessity IMO.

If you have a teeny tiny alternator (it would have to be teeny tiny for 500-600w to be a problem) a cap won't help anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thank you so much for all the help. The cap was really the last thing I was worried about but if I don't need one...... that much quicker that I have this all hooked up. Nothing left but the wires and to actually build the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us