Amp shuts off...

Username: Sportervaliant

Post Number: 1
I just bought an Alpine MRP-650 and hooked it up to my cousin's 2 Sony Xplods. Now I know Sony sucks pretty bad but I just wanted to make sure the amp worked because I bought it used. It's a monoblock so I hooked the 2 positive from the subs into the positive on the amp and the same for the negatives. Each of his subs run 350 RMS and 1100 peak. For some reason when I turn up the radio the bass will hit at the lower volume levels, but then shut itself off when I crank up the volume. The power light stays on, but the subs go out. The fuses are all fine and all the connections are still good. I turned off his truck and then turned it on and the same thing happened. Is the amp to powerful or am I hooking up the subs wrong or what? I'm getting 2 10" Type-X's for it and I'm hoping it will work fine with those.

Username: Miho1379

Austin, Texas United states

Post Number: 9
most likely the amp is reading it at too low of ohms and its not stable at those levels so it can only push enough power at very low volume levels but once the subs are needing that power the resistance(ohms) is too low and the amp cannot produce...
assuming that these subs are DVC i would say hook up a wire from one of the positives to one of the negatives on one of the subs, then there should be a negative and a positive still left, now connect a wire from the pos. on the sub to the pos. on the amp and a wire from the neg. on the sub to the neg. on the amp and do the EXACT same for the second sub then see what happens

hope that helps

Bronze Member
Username: Miho1379

Austin, Texas United states

Post Number: 13
one small other thing that it could be is at low volume levels there is low vibrations, when you turn up the volume the vibrations increase and shake things. the power wire and the ground wire are most likely right next eachother and with big vibrations one small wire hanging off either the power or ground cable touches the other one and it will shut the subs off yet the amp power light will stay on...this has happened to me many times just make sure your wires are not showing to much near the connectors on the amp

get back to me on what happens

Bronze Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 31
i had this same problem, not only was the ohm load all wrong for the amp but my ground wasnt' good, and shook loose.

Post Number: 2
Well I checked the ground wire and all that and it wasn't touching. So I need subs that are running 4 ohms right? The x's have a dual 4-ohm voice coil so should they work?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1476
2 subs with dual 4-ohm voice coil make a 1 ohm load
Your amp is not able to handle a 1 ohm load.
Your amp does 600x1 at 2 ohms
or 400 x 1 at 4 ohms
so ditch the sonys and get dual 2 ohm subs that will wire into a 2 ohm load.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC4x2

Post Number: 3
What subs do you recommend me getting? I have to get 10's, but I need some that are going to hit hard with that amp. What's the best I can do with that amp?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2749
with that amp maybe a pair of aa assassins, fi x's, kicker cvr's, jl w3's, crystal pros', idq 10s'.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us