Bet you haven't heard of this amp problem Mk2

Username: Ozsir2

Post Number: 3
Please refer to my archived link
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=927889#POST927889
Since my last post more weird things have happened. The crackle briefly moved to both speakers, then to the right speaker with the left being totally fine. Now there is no crackle in the right speaker...however the power output substantially less than the other side. The power output does increase with an increase in the head unit volume control and also the increase in the amp's gain control....but it is still faint compared to the other speaker. I have swapped around the RCAs as well as the seaker outputs to confirm the problem lies in the amp. Originally I thought the amp's RCAs connections were dodgy because when I pushed the RCAs in there was a changed to the crackle...but opening the amp revealled nothing loose at all with the solder joints - I even resoldered them to no effect. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2491
I had a similar problem with an old school RF 400a.
The amp had a short in it and it eventually fried m separates.
I would be sure to disconnect the amp b4 your set goes too.

Username: Ozsir2

Post Number: 4
Righteo...so it actually damaged your front splits...but how could it - did you still play music at high volumes? Do you know what caused the short in the first place? Did you get it fixed or just chuck out the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2492
It would clip into high distorted volume at the craziest times.

At this point it was out of warranty. This was the second RF amp to give me similar issues though. The first I sent back. The latter one I sold to someone brave enough to tackle the issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us