Difference between Redtop and Yellowtop?

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 41
I'm gonna be gettin one of them, and I'll probably only be able to choose an optima, not a brand that you can find online. my price limit is about 180 and i need it to fit in the stock position (i have a scion tC). i dono what the difference is between a red and yellowtop. im gonna have like 1200 watts rms from the stereo and i want to make sure it gets as much voltage as possible. the tC has a weak alt but i can't upgrade at this time, so i can only do the battery. i have to the optima because its the only one i can get at a store like autozone. if my parents saw me ship a batter to the house they'd freak, otherwise id look for stuff online. i dont need anything huge. i just want to choose the right one that'll do the job right. thanks for your help!!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2214
get a yellow top over red. red top is for starting and yellow is deep cycle so it can take more abuse and it will start your car no problem.

dont expcet to be able to run 1200 with no problems by just upgrading the battery. because you dont have a HO alt and if you absolutly cant get one charge your battery after heavy bumping and around like once a week

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 71
Get the Yellow top if you get one. It is deep cycle and can crank the engine. But since it is deep cycle it has more resisitance in it so it takes longer for it to discharge. I would suggest a cap or two after the battery because they have very little resistance and can supply your amp as soon as it asks.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2223

quote:

I would suggest a cap or two after the battery because they have very little resistance and can supply your amp as soon as it asks.

NO

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 72
Where does it say not to use a cap after a deep cycle because of the resistance difference? Those articles are saying dont try and hide problems behind caps. I dont disagree that he is probably going to need a H/O as well.

I am saying that the amp draws faster than a yellow top can produce, that is where the caps can, and will.

Is that incorrect?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
I dont think H/O currently makes an alt for the tC. I haven't found any companies that make one yet. But ill stick with the yellow, thank you all for your help. Deeply appreciated.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2224
well caps dont have alot of reserve either. his best bet would be to put a kinetik hc600 inplace of the cap witch is equal to a 100farad cap.

also he doesnt have a HO alt and he said he cant upgrade it right now so really a cap would be bad for him.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 73
I make a H/O (High Output) alternator for the tC, xA, and xB.

I dont know the Kinetic line at all so I will take your word for it.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2238
kinetikaudio.com they are really nice batts. check them out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
tyler you make an upgraded alt? gimme the details and price plz, if any mods are required or if its a direct replacement, etc. i just found a kinetik dealer near me so im now considering them. which power cell would be best, ive heard the 1800 is good without going overboard?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2138
Agreed on the Kinetics. In my OWN opinion Optima batteries are not worth the money. Both the blue and the yellow tops have a high internal resistance to control the flow of current, to provide a smooth longer lasting flow for special applications requiring it. With this said, the amount of available current is limited so it would take more batteries to get the job done. Both the blue and yellow requires a MUCH longer time to recharge than a standard fast release cranking battery. Kinetics are great batteries, fast charge and discharge rates much more suitable for our high current demands. Honestly if you need a battery with a large capacity, fast release and decent recharge rate get a standard cranking battery from Walmart. Polo... :-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2254
but really polo kinetiks are still better becasuse of the ultra low esr which is lower then normal batts youd find at walmart

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2139
I know this but a Walmart battery is better than the yellow you are recommending in your first post. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
im confused....walmart makes batts? my god the world is ending after all...

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9506
they are better than half of them out there man.
the big yellow ones at wal-mart FTMFW...

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 75
Walmart batteries arent deep cycle are they? The Yellow is. I dont know, but if they arent deep cycle then how do they compare to the Red top?

Yes I do, I have a 140 max, and 175 max. They both have to have a bracket to mount.

The 175 is about $750, and the 140 is about $500 max.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2143
I didn't mean Walmart had there own brand just brands they may carry. Forget deep cycles all together they are garbage and better left to boats and construction signs. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 177
polo shut up and go watch the game...devin hester just returned his second kick for touchdown of the game... 42-20 DA BEARS

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2148
I hate sports...... Pssy is my sport... :-O Polo...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
ill stick with my stock alt tyler, that's quite a bit too pricey for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us