Quick Is this true?

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1721
My alternator on my Audi A4 is going to crap. Well I would say that it already went to crap because at both places I took it to get tested it was putting out around 2 amps. Ehh....

Well anyway needless to say the battery doesn't have the hottest charge on it right now. One of the guys that tested it said that if I get a new alternator I need to completely recharge my battery or it will kill my new alternator. Is that true? It's not like I WOULDN'T charge my battery before I got my new alt. but is that really the case, it would KILL or RUIN my new alt?

Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 1
no it wont kill ur alternator however all and alternator if for is maintaining battery not charging it... and a stere os most strenious on your alternator also because it charges at 14.5 volt.. however your battery only charges 12 volt.. so therefore you battery is only helping you electrical system if you voltage drops below 12 volt.. so you alternator is always in a strait.. especially a stock alternator.. this is also another reason why just adding a battery wont solve the dimming of lights becasue it is cause by a drop in voltage form 14.5 and not 12..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2215
it depends isaac, its not good for your alt to do but i dont know if it will kill it right away, best bet is to just have it fully charged.

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 70
It wouldnt kill it, unless the battery was so bad that it wouldnt charge. Defenitley isnt good for it though, and would decrease its life quickly.

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1728
Ok cool, like I said I wouldn't put the new alt in without first charging or getting a new battery but I just wanted to know thanks all!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us