How to charge a capacitor

Username: Yymonkeyy

PIttsburg, Ca

Post Number: 1
i have a capacitor but the installation guide is stupid and hard too understand. i think its cause it has no pictures... please help. last thing i want is a burning car

PIttsburg, Ca

Post Number: 2
Can i just use any light bulb? damn im confused

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 61
Hook + to + and - to -. Expect a spark when you hook the last one up, that spark is what I call a charge spark. Assuming your cap isnt charged already.

PIttsburg, Ca

Post Number: 3
how long will this take?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5777
Use any 12v light bulb. Connect the neg to neg on battery, connect one end of light bulb to pos on battery and the other on the cap's pos.
That should cause the bulb to light up. When the charge is complete, it'll go out. This should take around 3-5 seconds. Very quick and safe with no sparks.

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 67
He is right, that method will take the sparks out and charge the cap.

PIttsburg, Ca

Post Number: 4
i have is the resistor...how would you use that..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5780
Don't use the resistor, it takes forever.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2152
Agreed, I just grabbed an interior light bulb and charged my cap then replaced the bulb. Hey I charged my cab at the fuse, pull the fuse out then stick one of those barrel-type bulbs in place of the fuse, when the bulb goes out immediately slip the fuse in and tighten it down. You may want to wear gloves the bulb gets kinda hot. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Buddyleee5

Post Number: 366
so i tired the light bulb trick, and the metal part of the bulb was melting the wire and burning hole in the metal, i dont think i was doing it right and i'm not interested in setting something on fire from these sparks so i think im just gonna have someone install it for me unless someone else has any ideas...

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 785
The sparks are invetable my entire car light up when i put my cap on. Im surprised i didnt blow a fuse or anything my cap terminal still has the black from it then i was so over edge aobut it once i tighted the wires and stuff on using the clamps i electrical taped both terminals so nothing would touch them.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1447
Like Isaac posted, "Use any 12v light bulb. Connect the neg to neg on battery, connect one end of light bulb to pos on battery and the other on the cap's pos.
That should cause the bulb to light up. When the charge is complete, it'll go out. This should take around 3-5 seconds. Very quick and safe with no sparks."

Upload

Username: Kwilliams

Heath, Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
when charging a capacitor you have to place the bulb between the negative terminal on the cap and the ground cable not between the positive
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us