Amp was under powered so it broke?

Username: Savageownage

Ny

Post Number: 1
One of my friends installed my amp and sub.

It was all working fine until recently when i tried to turn up the volume i would hear a "ehh" "ehh" "ehh" from the sub whenever the bass hit.

I feel/hear the bass hit when the volume is pretty low. Once i get loud, the sub emits this weird sound. I took the sub and hooked it up to another amp and it worked fine.

The guy at circuit city said that the wire that i used to run from the battery to the amp was way to small. He said this may have caused the amp to break. I dont know if what the guy at circuit city is true. Im wondering if the amp will still work if i increase the wire gauge and keep the same amp. The amp was bought 2 months ago, so maybe i can attempt to get a new one from the manufacture.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3585
clipping? How did you set the gain? with a DMM?

Bronze Member
Username: Ajr

West Mids!!.., Dudly United kingdom

Post Number: 49
ok hes lieing Your red lead (live) when. if it was as thin as a hair on ur head it woundnt of done damage to the amp gust turned it off If u surged it u my have broken/blowed the fuse.but allso does it make a funny nose if this is like a mid beat off/on fast you lost ur Earth and will/cound burn Head unit out bye grounding there and get thick earth and live wire the same :P Spelling mit be mess e :P

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 229
the thin wire would of just burned up under the amount of heat if it got that far. but according to what I've herd if you have a sony amp then the wire might of been too thick and it couldn't handle the amount current being put to it so it just simply blew

lolololol fu ck I couldn't resist BTW

"ehh,ehh,ehh" sounds like a personal problem to me

Ny

Post Number: 2
its kinda hard to type out the sound it it making. maybe i will make a video for you guys and see what you think.

I have a MTX amp.

Ny

Post Number: 4
So do you think that if i just run another power wire to the amp it will work?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1380
What model mtx amp? What size fuse is in the amp? What subs are you using? (Make, Model VC Config?)
What size wire do you have now on power and ground? Do you own/have access to a DMM?

A little, "ehh" "ehh" "ehh", lot more info would be helpful for some one to help you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us