The Generic "what amp do i get"

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 292
Im Getting the CDT EF components

My question would be should i be getting a mono amplifier that can do 2x120-150 at 4ohms or a 2 channel that pushes 120-150 each channel.

Also i was thinking about goint with the CDT CL coaxles for the back of my car :
http://www.alteraudiousa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CL-5EX
Theses recomend 60 Watts each....so is it possible to run these cleanly off my head unit (Pioneer DEH -4800MP: 2076_310069880_291048449%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/p roduct/details/0,,2076_310069880_291048449,00.html) or should i get an amp that can support both these speakers....which would be like what?

So a synopsis....2 channels or one? and can i run the CDT CL coaxles off a pioneer DEH-4800MP head unit or do i need it to run off an amp...if what sort of amp will run both sets of speakers?

THANKS

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 523
a HU's power ratings are never correct. you probably get 15-25 wrms off of it

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
Alright so what sort of amp will run both, do i need a 2 channel amp, where i can run one channel to a component and a coax and then the other chanenl runs the other, or do i do a 2 channel with coaxles on 1 channela nd the components on one, or do i do a four channel with each speakers having there own?

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
man my posts always get owned

Username: Ataylor5

Post Number: 1
i have a soundstream TR-2 12" trantula subwoofer with 1000RMS...what kind of amp am i gunna need? i dont want the loudest and biggest amp for this sub but a decent size}}.. THANK YOU! :-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1618
DO NOT POWER YOUR COMPONENTS WITH A MONO AMP! Unless you are going to be getting a mono amp that is class A/B, which are usually expensive. My suggestion would be to get two 2-channel amps. One for the components and the other for the rear coaxs.

A 4-channel amp will either not put out enough power for the front or put out too much for the rear.

Oh Yeah, Andrew is right don't bother running any speakers off the HU, it won't give enough power, and you will either clip the speakers to death and/or get lackluster results.

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1619
Amanda, hi-jacking threads is frowned upon around here. If you need help just make your own thread.

But since you are here and I am posting...

what is your budget?
What is the voice coil config. of your sub?
Is the 1000 watts really RMS or is it a max rating?

Post Number: 2
my budget is around $300-400..how do i figure out what the voice coil is and yea it is 1000RMS...i really dont know much about systems i just want one and i need help.

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1622
Apparently that sub is discontinued. I found the manual on the soundstream site. Strange but it seems to have a single 1 ohm voice coil. Not something you see very often... Anyway, if that IS the case, you want to find a mono amp that does 1000 wrms (give or take 100 watts or so) @ 1-ohm. Something like this:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=521

Not saying this is the best amp for you, but it is just a reference of what to look for. And remember that Ebay is your friend. Everthing is much cheaper, like so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/rockford-fosgate-T10001bd-amplifer_W0QQitemZ220047761048QQih Z012QQcategoryZ64572QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same amp... Much Cheaper!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3429
that rockford is too powerful isaac, i don't know if that sub can handle 1600w rms. Amanda if you get the rockford set the gain with a DMM.

Post Number: 3
Give me your thoughts on these amps Kenwood 1000W Class D Bridgeable Mono Amplifier with Low-Pass Crossover or Infinity Reference Series 761W Class D Mono Subwoofer Amplifier ...i appreciate this!

Post Number: 4
i have no clue what DMM means...im new at this

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1626
Yeah juliob thats why I said that wasn't neccisarily the best amp for her, just a reference. BTW, that RF is that underated!!???

Amanda a DMM is a Digital Multi-Meter. I don't why juliob said that...

Post Number: 5
can i have your thoughts isaacw on these amps Kenwood 1000W Class D Bridgeable Mono Amplifier with Low-Pass Crossover or Infinity Reference Series 761W Class D Mono Subwoofer Amplifier ...i appreciate this!

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2473
personally i'd take the infinity over the kenwood, but you could do better than both.

Post Number: 6
can you give me some ideas??

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1627
^^^ Yup especially with 300-400 bucks! Are you sure that both of those amps are 1-ohm stable? I don't believe that Infinity is.

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1628
To be honest there aren't many amps that do 1000 wrms @ 1-ohm. If an amp is 1 ohm stable it usually puts out more power than that. I can't think of much off hand... Too tired

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2474
for some reason reading this i thought you were looking for a 2 or 4 channel amp. confused between the original question and yours i guess.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2475
exactly what isaac said. but you can get a arc audio 900.1d that does 900wrms @ 1ohm for just a little over brand new. great amp that will definately put out more than 900w.

Post Number: 7
what about the soundstream PIC1.900D picasso mono amplifier 900W ??? :-)http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-PIC1-900D-PICASSO-MONO-AMPLIFIER-900W-NEW_W0QQit emZ120053400538QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1629
Hmm... I have a hard time believing that it really puts out that power, especially for that price. But it looks decent you just want to verify if it does it's actual power.

Post Number: 8
i cant really find any information on it...do you know a site that would contain any info on the soundstream amp?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2480
TST (Twin Stack Technology) 2 amplifiers to drive one voice coil effectively doubling the power
Fully regulated, MOSFET power supply
PWM circuitry
High quality FR-4 circuit board
Satellite Power Gain (remote gain control)
Continuously variable 24dB low-pass crossover (50Hz to 150Hz)
Continuously variable 24dB subsonic filter (50Hz to 150Hz)
Variable 0 -- 18dB subwoofer equalizer @ 40Hz
Continuously variable phase alignment (0°- 180°)
Tri-guard amplifier protection
Intelligent Distress indicator (IDI)
Platinum RCA input and output
Platinum 1/0 gauge power inputs
1-ohm stable
5Hz -- 250Hz frequency response
>80dB S/N ratio
0.30% THD
PIC1.900D
1 X 225 RMS 4 Ohm
1 X 450 RMS 2 Ohm
1 X 900 RMS 1 Ohm
Dimensions 12" L X 3" H X 13" W

Post Number: 9
ctmike...do you think this is an okay amp for the sub i have??

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2481
no not really like isaac said you probably wont see 900w out of it. best thing to do would be to spend more and get an amp that is better and will give you the power you need.

Post Number: 10
okay what about this amp???
Audison LRX 1.400 - Audison 1 Ch 900 Watt Amplifier with Crossover
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4224

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Well, its really hard for me on a tight budget (about 400 bucks for the amps) to get 2 amps. Any ideas on how I can get away with only using one? i need to power a pair of 120W speakers and a pair of 60W speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3435
maybe you can see the 900w rms from the soundstream but in this case avoid it. IF you want to keep some money, go to www.onlinecarstereo.com and get the hifonics BXi 1206D.

It has a 1 year warranty. I know you can afford better but that's just a simple suggestion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us