Amp Problems

Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 1
I have a 12" inch hifonics Atlas hooked up to my SPL Model Z2X1600 Series II 1600 Watt 2 Channel Amp and it bumps hard but after a while it gets hot and turns off i know its because of the thermal protection feature on the amp but how do i keep my amp from overheating i thought it was cus my ground was smaller than my power but now they are both 4 gauge and its still doing it and it heats up in like 15 minutes is that normal?

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1288
Do you have the dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm sub? you may just need to do some rewiring. I hope that you have the dual 2ohm sub. Then you can bridge both channels of that amp and wire your sub for 4 ohm.

Post Number: 4
no i have the dual 4 ohm hooked up two 2 ohmbs and have it bridged and i think i just realized that thas a one ohm load right and my amp is only stable at 2 ohms so is that whats wrong wit it?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1290
sort of. from what i gather your amp is 4 ohm stable bridged. you have too much of a load on the amp. that is why it is overheating. wire your voice coils on the woofer in series instead of parallel. you won't get as much power from the amp, but it will not overheat either. a dual 2 ohm sub would of been the proper match for that amp.

look at this site to see about parallel/series:
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/?helpid=58

Post Number: 5
well if i left it as it is will there be long term damage to the amp from overheating because i only listen to in to and from skoo and its usually fine cus i dont want to loose any power it sounds perfect the way it is

Post Number: 6
also if i did what you told me and wire them in series how much power will i loose and do you think there will be big diff in the loudness and can i compesate for it by turning my sub out put up on my equalizer and turning the bass up just a lil on my head unit?

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 572
just leave it seeing 2 ohms and run it off one channel....you will get more power that way than running it at 8 ohms

Post Number: 7
thas only 370 watts rms and my sub is 900 watts rms thas not anywhere close to what it needs to be

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 573
yeah but when you run it at 8ohms bridged you arent gonna see anywhere close to what you need either.......prolly less that what you see at 2ohms on one channel.try em both and see which is better

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1293
actually trevor either way you wire it you going to see about the same power. well if you dont want to loose power to the sub then try to keep it cooled off with a fan or something. be sure to wire the fan with a switch so that it isn't on all the time running your battery down when the car is off. you can get a computer power supply fan from a computer store. it is 12 volts and should cool that amp nicely.

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 575
you can get two of these and take that cover off, make two slots for them and run one of these facing in and the other facing out........might still be able to run it at 2ohms bridged that way until you fry the circuit board cuz its too much for it.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D110049474397%26%26

if you can sell that amp locally and get a mono amp so you can give it 900 or 1000 at 1ohm

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOTEK-MM1000-1D-MONO-CLASS-D-1000-WATT-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQi temZ250049787051QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1295
or get a dual 2 ohm sub.

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 576
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIRECTED-VIPER-AUDIO-D1200-1-AMPLIFIER-CLASS-D-SUB-AMP_W0QQi temZ290049418067QQihZ019QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that would be really nice, just watch the gain setting

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1296
hey trevor i hope your not buying from indoaudio. ive had some problems with them to say the least.

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 577
whoops im off
lol
I thought he had dual 2 for some dumb@ss reason. yeah get a amp like well either of those so you can upgrade then or just get this........

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-KICKER-ZX750-1-750w-MONO-CAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ140053573 592QQihZ004QQcategoryZ79829QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post Number: 8
well im planning on getting another one so i want two have 2 of them would this amp be good ohm wise and same wattage wise SPL Z1X3000D - 3000 Watt 1 Channel

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 578
well that was just to show the amp....never bought from them cuz ive heard bad things as well

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1299
raymond you want to get two of what? amps or subs?

Post Number: 9
i want to get another hifonics atlas and am wondering if the ohms and watts are right if i use a SPL Z1X3000D - 3000 Watt 1 Channel amp

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1311
i want to clarify incase im getting my threads mixed up. if you have two dual 4 ohms subs then that amp would work. you can wire the two subs to one ohm and the Z1X3000D is one ohm stable. so yes that would be the right configuration. at this point though you probably want to look into a high output alternator.

Post Number: 10
cant i just add like a couple of caps i remember my local sub shop had an suv with 2 mojos and instead of getting a h o alternator he just had like 4 caps

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1316
no. there is no alternative to a high output alternator. additional caps just add more strain onto the already overworked alternator. capacitors won't make current magically appear. capacitors resist the change in voltage by releasing energy as current. capacitors need power too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
whats the price on one of those?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1317
depends on the vehicle. try it w/o one first. maybe your stock alternator can handle that amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
my system stopped bumping all of a sudden and i checked and my fuse holder was totally melted but the fuse didnt blow whats up wit that?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3381
the SPL amp is powerful, it can put more than 1.5k rms easily

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1321
raymond you probably had a loose connection on the fuse holder. bad connections or undersized wired can cause heat.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1322
the reason it didn't blow the fuse is because the loose connection was probably on the battery side of the fuse holder

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i think it was a cheap fuse holder because i just replaced it with a memphis fuse holder and it doesnt even get warm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us