How to use my CPU PS to power my 600 watts amplifier without shut off.

Username: Williams16

Post Number: 1
I got a 350 watts 13 ampers at 12V CPU Power Supply. I heard that people power their amplifier with this. I conect two 1 Ohmn 10 watts at 5v line, a 3.3 Ohmn 5watts at 3.3v line but when I connect the 12v line in my amplifier the PS turn off 2 seconds after been connected.

I don't know what more to do.
If I connect a harddrive instead of the resistors the power supply will power my amplifier without been shut off??

What I need to know to power my amplifier in home ?

I will be grateful of your posts. Thanksss a lot

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1305
why are you using resistors of the 5v and 3.3v rails? try to explain what you are doing again. i dont really understand. use the yellow for +12volts and the black for common. if it is atx power supply then there are two wires that have to be shortes for one pulse to turn on the ps

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1306
i mean ON the 5v and 3.3v rails. not of

Bronze Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Post Number: 16
in my opinion you are doing something stupid, you know those portable jump starter batteries that you can charge and put in your car to jump start i with? just buy one of those, they are like 50 dollars. i have one hooked up to my JBL gto1200 which draws 120 amps and i get about 4 hours battery life with normal use, then i charge it at night, if you are pulling only 13 amps you should easily get 24 hours of battery life with it.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 641
Just go and get a feckin' AC/DC converter, WTF, why are you people making everything so complicated???:-)

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1320
nick thats a good idea. you could also find a lawnmower/car battery and use the power supply top charge it.
Maris power supplies can be expensive.

Post Number: 2
Hey people I set this post because I wnat to find a solution to my problem, the problem is the Power Supply. If you don't know how to make it work don't said me to buy something that I'm not talking about. I don't have money to buy somenthing right know, also I want to learn something new.

Please if you know something post it it will be helpful. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
hey man dont get pised off at us, one guy tried to help you with ur current thing, were just trying to help, if you dont want any help then leave the forum and dont yell at us a bout it, you need too get a few more posts before you can be telling lucas beckner, maris, and not so much me but yes me, what to do. so if you have a problem with us trying to help leave the forum, you diserve to be kicked off, i wish i was an admin so i could kick you off. so just accept peoples atempt at helping you!

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1325
Alright Guirilla, for starters you don't need to worry about the 3.3v or the 5v. If you want to run an amp off this power supply then all you need is the yellow wire(+12v) and the black wire (DC Common). To turn on the power supply simply short the green wire to the black wire momentarily. You don't need to hold the green wire on the black wire, just touch them togather once to turn on the PSU. To turn off the PSU simply unplug it from the wall. (you maybe able to turn it off by shorting the green wire to the black wire for 3 seconds) (The above instructions may not be the black wire. I forget exactly which one you shhort the green to, but I do remember that it is safe to try all of them until the PSU comes on) You will probably clip the crap out of whatever speakers you are running on this amp because the PSU will not provide very much current. If you are going to do this then I would recommend using a battery with the PSU as mentioned above.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1326
oh, and YOU TELL HIM NICK!

Post Number: 3
Hey people sorry about What I Said I'm really embarrased of this. Iknow you are trying to help me but I think buy a AC/DC converter is not the solution for me right know.

Sorry people I will not do this anymore. Lucas, Nick and Maris sorry, I hope you excuse me.

Post Number: 4
I forget the others lines, I take two yellows for the positive and remote and a black for ground. I turn on the PS with the green and black but the PS shut down in two seconds max.

Why the PS shut off and don't continue on?.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1327
will it come on and stay on without the amp hooked up to it. also it may not be the black that you need to touch to the green. try touching the green to the purple.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1328
oh, and you didn't offend me at all. i wouldn't want to buy an ac/dc converter cause they are expensive.

Post Number: 5
if I connect the green to the purple the PSU begin to make a strange sound...

What is exactly going on is this when connected to amplifier
1. One yellow to bat
2. One yellow to remote
3. One blck to ground
4. Green connected to black to start up the PSU.
5. The PSU start and 1 almost 2 seconds later it shut down.

When the PSU is not connected
1.Yellow wires not connected
2.Black wire not connected
3. Green conected to black
4. The PSU stay working until I separate the green and black.

I think I need to prove the PSU in another amplifier because mine have a feedback ( someone who moreless know about said me that) and also when who sold it to me said that although the switch is off the amplifier continue on. ( problem with the remote)

I will use the PSU in another amplifier if it work I will know is the amplifier the problematic.

In three days I will post the results so you can make conclusions. Thanks a lot. And sorry for the other persons in the forum.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1329
that makes sense Guillermo. if the amp is drawing too much currect then the PSU will shut off to protect itself. you could also try testing the amp on a car battery. if it works on a car battery then the problem is the PSU, but yeah sounds like a bad amp

Post Number: 6
Lucas, do you know how to put together two PSU so that ampers will join and we can get more ampers at the output. This will help very much...

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1349
I think that they have to be matching PSU to do this. same brand, size, etc. otherwise i think that you would have to isolate each power supply with diodes maybe.

Bronze Member
Username: K12ug

Post Number: 45
to add onto this....can you have a battery charger and hook it up with a battery..and hook the battery up to the amp? so its like a alt.?

something like this to a battery?
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/11-20amps/RTIC-1120.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
yeah tyler you could do that but you would have to be careful because some car batteries leak like no other and some release hydrogen, and then if it gets charged too long they will explode

Silver Member
Username: _jay_

Post Number: 195
thats why u put it in something sealed :D
-J

Bronze Member
Username: K12ug

Post Number: 47
i read on a other thred that the battery wont help anything....so should i just hook up the charging system to the amp?

Post Number: 7
how I use diodes to insolate the power supplys?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
tyler, how many amps are you gunna be pulling, if its less than 20 then its ok to go without the battery but if its more you need the battery because it will only produce about 200 watts max, the battery holds hunderds of amps per hour so that would make it so you would have more power but for a limited amout of time then you would need to charge it, the product you are looking at to charge the battery is more expensive than a portable jumpstarter which wit about a 60 amp per hour flow will las about 10 hours, they only cost about 50-60 bucks, so its your choice 180 or like 50

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1363
you'll want to use like 20 amp diodes. you can get these at radio shack.

I would just use a battery to run the amp and then use the power supply to charge the battery. This would be the best way to use the PSU.
image/bmpUpload
isolator.bmp (5.7 k)

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1366
image/bmpUpload
isolator.bmp (5.7 k)

Post Number: 8
How to connect three or four PSU with diodes so that's enought to power my amp?

"In any way I will use a PSU to power my amp"

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1372
same way as with two. just add a diode to each + wire on each power supply and it will isolate them from each other. did you get the picture?

Post Number: 9
yes I get it Lucas , Can you find a way to upload another picture with this new configuration ( three and four) Power Supplys? If not it doesn't matter.

Lucas, you really have been of much aid Thank You for your time and effort.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1373
its the same as using two PSU's. just add another diode to each + wire on each PSU. I will send an updaeted pic when i get home from bama.

Post Number: 10
Thanks, I will be waiting...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us