Bet you haven't heard of this amp problem

Username: Ozsir2

Post Number: 1
I have searched numerous forums and am wondering if anyone here knows what's going on.

I replaced a new head unit to my system and reset the gain on my Alpine mrv-t402 (2 channel amp). Now when I turn on my stereo when it is at low volume there is crackle from the left speaker channel - which disappears when the volume is turned up...but also does not return once I turn volume back down. It is only after the system "has cooled down" when I notice crackle again.

I have checked to make sure it's not the speakers (switching the L/R spkr outputs from the amps results in crackle in the right channel), and not the head unit (switching the RCA inputs to the amp - there is still crackle from the left channel). Turning the gain pot when music is playing does not affect the crackle so I don't think it is "dust" in the pot...but I do think it's got something to do with the amp's volume/output/sensitivity control.

Any advice besides "take it to a professional" would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5712
Steve, try this test. Disconnect the right channel and power both left and right with the left channel on the amp. See if the crackling goes away.
You could just have a bad left channel. How old is this amp?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 603
...or see your doctor the next time it happens:-)

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1277
have you tried a different set of rca's?

Username: Ozsir2

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the tip Isaac I'll try that and tell you what happens. Lucas I did actually install a "better" set of RCAs when I put in the new head unit. I suppose it may be worth swapping them again to see if there's a change...but as I said I tried swapping the rca channels around but that did not help so I don't think it's the rcas.

Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 6
Did you run the RCA's next to any power wires? Can cause some noise in stereo sysems when RCA cables are run along the power wire for the amp. A good practice is to run power down one side of car and RCA's and remote down the other. Some would say to run remote wire with power wire but that wire doesnt carry enough current to make any noticable noise in your system. (but to play it safe run it down the power wire side of the car) The power wire side should be the side of the vehicle that the battery is on because you want the power wire to be as short as possible so you get the most amount of current possible to your amp.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1820
^^actually that will never happen unless you are using really crappy unshielded RCAs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Yes, but I have no idea the quality of parts used in install. I was simply giving other alternative solutions to this problem. Very good point mat dope. Goes right with my quote "Don't go the cheap route!"

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1822

quote:

I did actually install a "better" set of RCAs when I put in the new head unit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Still tells me nothing about the overall quality, just that they are better than old ones.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1825
you got a point i took it that he had better RCAs as in better then agverage walmart ones

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I just wasn't sure so I gave a possible problem that could be looked into. If he knows they are shielded than you can rule out that problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us