Preamp voltage too high? gain too high?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 908
i have an old hifonics amp (ATLAS VII) that will do 600 watts @ 2 ohm (rated) but the gain only goes up to 3.8 volts but my HU *premeier 860, is rated at 6.5 volt preamps, so can i still run this amp?

heres pics

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 912
anybody know?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Detroit

Post Number: 724
you may just have to be limit the volume on the actual headunit by knowing not to turn it up too high. if your HU preout voltage is higher than the maximum your amp can accept, you can induce clipping with the gain all the way down.

here's a helpful quote i refer back to:

"In fact, having a deck with 8v (or higher) preamp voltage signal level could actually CREATE distortion, if the amplifier can't take an input signal that high - in that case, you could have your gain adjustment set all the way down (adjusted to the maximum input voltage), and actually you would be guaranteeing that you could clip your amplifier at loud volumes... the higher the voltage, the worse the potential "unavoidable clipping" problem."

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 915
thanks, thats what i thought, so i guess i will just turn the volume down or mabey the low frequencies on my HU so its not putting out a ton of clipped power

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7243
that amp will be able to handle that output voltage without a problem:-) that is a very nice amp:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us