THE BIG 3??

Bronze Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 13
people keep suggesting i upgrade the big 3, and im not sure what that consists of, i think it has something to do with the electrical system, so if you could help clear that up i would appreciate it, also, im planning to run 4000 watts RMS through my range rover so if you guys could tell me what kind of electrical system upgrades i will need that would help out alot too

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 744
one is a higher output alternator. Then id suggest a battery.

THen changing your negative to the battery and your postive to the alternater. (somthing like that).

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3679
the BIG-3 is just beefing up your wiring.

add 1/0wire to your stock:

-batt to chassis ground.
-alt to batt positive.
-engine block to chassis ground.

Bronze Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 56
i was just reading this and i want to know where on the engine block you ground?? is there a specific spot to ground??

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 747
Ya where would i find this on my Honda Civic aswell? The Post and Neg?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3683
look around on your block...you will see a 'shoe-string' looking braided wire that conects the block to the frame. That is the block ground.

The Alt (+) will just be a terminal on back of the Alt.

If you cant find the block ground, just run a 1/0ga wire from your Alt's mounting bracket to the frame.

Add 1/0 wire and keep the stock all in place aswell.

sand all dirt/grease/paint off around the places you make connections.

Also, it wouldnt be a bad idea to run 1/0 from the alt's mounting bracket to the front batt neg...that would kinda be a Big-4 then...lol

BTW...in car audio...over kill is never enough :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3684
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-CORVETTE-BATTERY-GROUND-CABLE_W0QQcmdZViewIte mQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ016QQitemZ260047059812QQrdZ1

your stock block ground will prolly look like that.

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 62
ok,

well i just hooked up a ground from a bolt on the top of my engine block. is that ok becasue no one ever told me where on the engine block???

and also i hooked up my batteries neg right to the metal that was closest. is there a better place to put it??

and for now i just used 4 awg wire because thats all i had laying around. but i will change it soon when i feel like it.

i will post some pictures when i get home tonight to see what you guys think. and how do i know know if all the connections are good and the alt is charging my battery?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4004
marshall already told you where on the block to do it with his picture and stuff..

for the batt, anywhere is fine, as long as its gettin a good ground being in contact with bear metal

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4005
if you have everything hooked up right, then you know ur alt is workin right ... :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Boomtank

Post Number: 85
Where does everyone get their 1/0 gauge wire. Any cheap sites

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1641
knukonceptz.com get the klm cheapest you can get 1.75ft

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 64
well my alt seems to be work the way i have it. how do i know if it will be enough for my amp?

i got my alt from iraggi of ebay and it looks excactly the same. same size everything. how do i know if it a 200 amp compared to my stock?? is there anyway to check??

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 65
can anyone help?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 805
You got a 200amp alt from iraggi? Whats the output at idle. And how many wats (RMS) are you running? With a 200amp alt, you should be able to run around 2500rms with a proper battery.

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 72
well im was goin to run 1500 wats to power some L7's but i dont know how to check and see how many amps it is at idle? do i have to buy something to test it?

if i can run 2500 watts then would that be enough for 2 fi Q's or will it uner power them??

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3220
phillp, check on iraggi, the model you own and there it says how many amps puts at idle. Usually, lower Amperes alts, put more power at idle than bigger alts. This is not something that always happens, cuz there are big alts that put a lot amount of power at idle.

Phillp, if i were you, i'd put two FI SSD or AA Arsenal, and get a 2 ohm stable amp like kicker ZX 1500.1 and some kinetic batteries, or just one.

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 73
would that get loud??? i want mostly spl

Gold Member

Post Number: 3227
phillp, 2000w rms is loud, any sub rated to 2000w rms is loud, but you might find louder of course. I'll give you a little advice.

Worry a lil bit more about the SQ on your system, not all people enjoy that, but the difference is there man.

Pick 2 AA arsenal or two FI SSD, they will get low, loud and will sound good. Also cheap for what you get, VERY CHEAP. After you get them and bump the hell out of them, then you come here and thank us for the suggestions.

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 79
where can i get aa arsenals??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3238
ascendantaudio.com

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 80
which would get louder the aa arsenals or the fi ssd's??? i am thinking of getting a pair of one of those.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4048
no1 has really heard the ssd's yet. i havent heard the arsenals, but i have heard they get loud, the 12" FI Q gets very loud, louder tha 2 cvx's or 8500's.. but i dont know personally how loud the arsenals get.

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 83
why hasnt anyone heard the ssd's yet?? are they not very good?? i know everyone is tellin me to get them but before i do i want to make sure one more time that there isnt a better sub to get for spl. i really dont car about the sq (sorry juliob). but do you know any idea of how many dbs they could hit with 2 15's. would they beat 2 L7's?

sorry im so annoying with this i am just paranoid that it wont be as loud as what i am imagining.

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Currently residing in ..., Oregon USA

Post Number: 483
They are fairly new subs. But are crafted by a very reputable sub designer and maker.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4072
2 12" ssd's will get louder than 1 12" FI Q

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 89
so if i got 2 15" ssd's than i would be bumpin pretty hard??

could they beat 1 15" FI Q?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4078
i would imagine yes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3261
2 12 subs own 1 15 if they're from good brands.

A fi SSD should bump a lot, you can get some reviews from the arsenals here cuz some people own them and they all say they get low, loud and have great SQ.

I'm not sure, but i think a FI SSD fully upgraded should own an arsenal.

Phillp, if you want, check FI videos on Realmofexcursion.com and judge it yourself. FI inventor is usually on the forum

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 90
what do you mean fully upgraded??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3278
they offer some improvements on the coils and other sub parts, talk to scott, he knows all the info you need

Bronze Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 99
who is scott?? is he the person on the fi website?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4082
yea, hes the owner. basically, just go on their site, and click on the sub you want, and then on the right the have the extra's you can put on it.. i would HIGHLY recommend puttin the extra's on each sub or just the one. if you get the longer VC's, the HXicoil, you need to get the third magnet. this increases the power handling and the excursion = loud!

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 103
the ssd's dont have the third magnet option. they only have the upgrade for copper coils and flatwind coils. should i get those?

**and what should i get dual 1 or dual 2?? my amp is the zx1500.1

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4086
well, you cant get both the options... cuz they are both just coils, VC's. i dont really know much bout them, but i would get the flatwind coil...

and if ur getting an amp that does 1500 @ 2

get the dual 1 for wiring to a 2 ohm load

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 107
how would i wire them??

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4089
you wire a DVC 1 ohm sub in series to get a 2 ohm load

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 113
ctmike just told me to get the dual 2?

can you show me a diagram of how to wire that please

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 115
so i should go with dual i ohm and wire them series?? i am about to buy the subs tomorrow so i need to know soon. and i need a diagram of how to do it cuz i dont know how to wire a series.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2272
get dual 2 since you're buying a pair to run off that amp.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 119
oh ok. i see. how should i wire them then.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC2x2

is the second one correct??

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2274
yes.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 121
ok thank you

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 124
what if i got a kx2500.1 amp with 2 15" fi Q's and another battery. do you think that would pound hard?? could my 200 amp alt handle that kind of power if i got a good kinetic battery??

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 546
Come on phillp, you will pound your brains out, concentrate a little more on the SQ side of it:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3284
yeah.. i told him that lol! a 2k rms system is loud, what you need is SQ on those levels.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 126
lol i dont really care for the sq. do you think that it will work with a new battery and my 200 amp alt??

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4090
haha. i guess. the Q's ahve good sq as it is tho, but that would be insane loud...

that kicker is 2500 @ 1 ohm i belive..?

if you you need then to get a bigger alternator, and then a couplw kintic hc 2000's

thats wayy to loud tho. 1 Q 15 will be loud enough for you man..

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Post Number: 105
what do you think a 15" Q with about 1200wrms would hit with a good install? db?

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 533
"the 12" FI Q gets very loud, louder tha 2 cvx's"

^^^^One of the dumbest things i have heard on this forum, thanks bassman. With the doubled power and cone area with the 2 cvx the Q wouldnt stand a chance.

Another thing why is it that the guy asked how to upgrade his big three and you guys are trying to convince him to buy different subs, most of which you have never even heard yourselves. Especially since he said he doesnt care about SQ at all so and he obviously knows what he likes so dont try to tell him he wants different.

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 190
i have some extra chill pills in my pocket

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 536
ha ha Thanks man, its just that the more i read on this thread the dumber i fealt and the farther away from the original topic it got. bassman usually seems to know his stuff but that comment was not a good one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us