Do H/O Alternators really work?

Bronze Member
Username: Bobid77

Post Number: 23
I would like to buy one to solve my light dimming problem, but I want to be sure they can kick the power as fast as my amp needs it. I am only running about 1400 RMS, Are Iraggi alternators good? will a 180amp work?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2178
i'd go with a 200a alt. or larger one if you can. a 1400wrms class d amp will draw at peak 140a from the alt. then add about 30-40a for your car and whatever else you might have. always get as big as you can, it never hurts and it leaves you room to upgrade your system later on without having to get another alt.

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 33
Yes the H/O worsk, but not when you are trying to fix the dimming in the lights. You need something else, like a battery or a capacitor to take care of dimmin lights. You will probably need to get a alternator to maintain the battery though.

Think of it like a tug o war the amp pulls from the nearest power source which is the battery and the battery pulls volatage from the alternator. Since the alternator cant charge fast enough, the battery voltage is brought down which dims the lights. Then the bass goes away or the alternator starts to help and the lights get brighter.

At night turn the car on, turn the bass up, open the hood and listen to the alternator bring down the RPM of the engine. It will turn on right at the end of the bass note, or right after the bass is gone and that extra amperage is not needed.

The 180 should do just fine, but like ctmike stated you may want to go bigger to you dont have to later.

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 141
are h/o alt supposed to be bigger than the stock one because i got one from iraggi but it looks EXACTLY like my stock one. how can i test it to make sure that it puts out 200 amps??

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 34
I would take it to your local rebuilder, not a parts store, because you need a full load test, at high RPMs. What city in MI are you in? I am part of a US rebuilder group and I could look someone up for you.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 35
the size can be bigger or same, it depends on how much bigger the amperage is supposed to be. What is the year, make, model, and engine in your car. I can look it up for you.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 144
um i have a 2000 pontiac grand am 2.4L engine.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 146
i have a 2000 pontiac grand am 2.4L engine.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 147
i have a 2000 pontiac grand am 2.4L engine.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5708
HO alternators are/should be the same size as your stock. If not you'll have a tough time with new cars, due to very limited space under the hood.
If you want to test the alternator, get a decent DMM and monitor the voltage while the stereo is playing. If it stays above 13.4v then it's doing it's job. If it falls below 12.5v, then raise the rpm. If it still falls below that, then the HO alternator is not supplying the power.
Even with HO, your lights will still dim, but not for the same reason. Head lights are sensitive to voltage. Therefore, 13.4v will not be as bright as 14.9v.
As long as it stays above 12.5v, then you're fine. The battery/batteries will get charged.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 37
I did some research on your system, yeah the H/O will be the same size as the stock unit. Take it to a rebuilder and get it full load tested. That is the only way to be sure about how much it can put out.

Wrangler makes a hot rated 160, and cold rated 180 High Output. I have heard of a 200 amp alternator but you have to turn the motor 2000 RPM before the alternator will turn on.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 150
so should i invest in a better battery like a kinetik or a deep cycle??

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 151
what about a cap??

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1742
kinetic probly

cap no

HO alt yes

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 158
what kind of kinetic

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1755
depends on if your going to replace your stock battery with it or put it in the trunk with an isolator. a HC1500 should be fine

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 164
i was just goin to replace my stock one. what does an isolator do and how much do they cost?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1756
yeah i think you should be fine with the 1500 hopefully someone can confirm this i dont tons about batts and reserve capaity and what not to decide how big you need because im putting one in soon but kinetiks are a good choice and if its going to stock location find out what size model will fit in there and that will basically have to determine which you get.

i dont know how much isolators cost. but the make it so the batterys dont try to charge eachother wich will strain one and weaken it. if your running 2 different types of batts its a good thing to have

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 166
so if i just go a kinetic battery to replace my stock one then i would be good to go?

can anyone else confirm that. i have a 1500 watt amp and a ho alt.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 39
Yes you should be good to go. But you may still notice the infamous dimming of the headlights. The only way to stop the dimming, would be to get a another battery.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 178
what if i jsut install another battery in my trunk. do i still need to get the same kind as under the hood. i mean does it have to be the same amount of power or could i get a less powerfull one for the trunk??

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 42
For example, Optima doesn't recommend that you mix and match. But I have found with Optima's only it is okay. They are just trying to avoid mixing and matching outside of brands. You dont want to put a cheap battery in with a nice expensive one.

I personally use Optima, (not to say other brands are bad) I stick a Red top as the main battery, and a yellow top battery for the Auxillary. The Yellow is deep cycle and can take the beating that the amplifierss will put on them. BUT when I put in the Yellow I always stick at least one 1 Farad Cap in between the amp and the battery. Because the deep cycle have more resistance so they dont flow as good as the Red, so the cap makes up for it.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 188
what about kinetik batteries? are they any good?

Bronze Member

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 44
It is all about who you talk to. I like Optima. But Kinetik isnt bad.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 190
which are better for the price?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1772
here make use of this link it is very detailed.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/manuals/khccells.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us