Kenwood amp problems

Username: Spandmh1

Post Number: 1
i have a 1000 watt kenwood amp hooked up to 2 earthquake 10's. my problem is that if i have my gain turned all the way up, it makes my amp kick off. and, when it starts kicking off it tends to melt the fuse in it, (40 amp fuse b.t.w.) my friends say its the amp going into safe mode. but i dont know what the heck... i tried turning the gain to about half way the amp hasnt been giving me much trouble until i turn it to high volumes. if any one could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2139
"my problem is that if i have my gain turned all the way up, it makes my amp kick off"

that right there could be it. gain is not a volume knob. you set it to match the preout voltage of your head unit. and what is the voice coil of your subs and the amp, is it wired to what load?

Post Number: 2
i have it at about half way right now and it all works fine until i turn it up to high volumes. i dont know what the preout voltage of my head unit is. its a crappy kenwood kdc-???? something another. fairly old.. dont know about the voice coils, but i had a volfenhag 12 hooked up too that amp and had it at max power all the way and it did awesome. but my big problem is, i just dont have the bass that i used to have right now... and it sucks... you think i should just invest in a better sub or subs? i really want 1 15 kicker solobaric but thats kinda out of my budget. i dont want to go over $400. got any suggestions on what kind of sub i should maybe get?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2140
again, don't set the gain to just 'half way up', it is not a volume knob. unless half way matches your preouts' of the head unit your going to clip the subs to death. if you don't know the preout, search online for it or get hold of kenwood and find out. and yeah i think you definately need to invest in better subs if you think a 12" volfenhag did awesome. and a better amp to, kenwood is not the greatest, especially the mono's. heard the excelon line is decent though. solobaric, don't waste your money. not worth it. where you live at by the way, if you really need a solobaric someone i know is selling a 12" l5 in a custom box. as for what sub, what are you going for:
spl-just loud
sql-loud but still sounds good
sq-great sound but not as loud as the rest

Post Number: 4
spl all the way. i kinda like clarity but im really just lookin for bone jarring bass. i live in georgia.

Post Number: 5
spl all the way. i like clarity but im really just lookin for bone jarring bass. i live in georgia.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2142
well it depends what amp you are going to use. you plan on buying a new one or sticking with the kenwood? if the kenwood, what is the rms at each load? never mind peak, that doesn't mean anything, just rms.

Post Number: 6
i plan on keepin the amp. it is a 2 channel amp so i guess its 500w rms on each load? forgive me for my unknowingness about all this. im fairly new to this stuff.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2143
well first you need to find the power it puts out and at what load. look it up by model number and then go from there. and when you find that out then you'll be able to really look for a sub. without the power you have and the ohm load it's at no one can really help you out to much.
honestly if you want alot better then you might want to think about a new amp.

Post Number: 7
what amp would you recommend? im on a fairly tight budget being in school and all. so i cant buy like a top-of-the-line-kick-butt amp or anything. max price $200? think thats enough for a decent one?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2144
could try:
amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14803
sub, fi q 12"
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15454422d41659c/shopdata/0020_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2145
could try:
amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14803
sub, fi q 12"
www.ficaraudio.com

Post Number: 8
hey man thanks for all of your help! i might invest in one of those amps! very nice and a VERY good price! i have to go to bed now but thanks again man! kudos

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 865
damn newbies and there gains lol

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3159
hehe, now he's going to bump da sh1t with the Q hehe

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 149
yea that was some advice to me to cuz i have 2 kicker comp vr 10s and a 1700 watt kenwood 9102d amp and its like850 rms at 2 ohms but its not as loud as i want it so i was looking into the fi q sub to and i thought it was a good price and lso that amp but is that amp gonna make that sub loud and will it be loudr than my 2 kickers?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3169
louder= depends on the box
Sq= hell yeah!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us