Amplifier turns off

Username: Sidmeister

Post Number: 1
My Hifonics Brutus BXi1606D keeps turning off in a way. It stays on but turns the subs off and the green light shuts off for about 15-20 seconds and then turns back on. It started to do this about 3 days ago and does it about every 30 seconds into the song no matter how loud it is.

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 318
check ur ground wire

Post Number: 2
Ground Wire is fine

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 427
What are you running with it, what ohm load?
How often does it shut off?
"It stays on but turns the subs off and the green light shuts off" - how do you know that it stays on?

Post Number: 4
I am running 2 12" Audiobahn AlUM12Q, im not very adept at audio equipment to tell you the ohm load. When im playing my music at any level of volume, my amplifier will stay on but the little lights off to the left side turn off and so do my subs and my bass boost remote turns off. It does this like every 30 seconds and stays off for about 15 seconds. Its very aggravating, its never done this before.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 431
I was just reading the specs on the amp, it looks like it's got a microprocessor, well maybe that thing has a mind of it's own. Did you buy with a warranty? Amps usually work or they don't, something like your situation is interesting:-)

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2779
check to see if your remote wire is lose aswell. Actually just check all the wires lol

Username: Tac

Austin, TX USA

Post Number: 3
I Had an amp that did the same thing and I put a computer fan over the vent holes and it doesn't do it anymore it is a good possability that it is over heating like mine did. try adding a fan over the vent hole and see if that corrects the shutting off.

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1904
If it turns off at low volume also i dont think its overheating unless there is something wrong wit ur amp.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1075
I belive those are DVC 3 ohm subs, so 4 - 3ohm coils parallel impedance is .75 ohm load on that amp. You may be running that amp below its ratings. I am not familiar with Hifonics, but I would guess that its mirical that they even push at 1 ohm at all, nevermind below 1 ohm.

Post Number: 5
The amp isnt overheating, all the wires are good, i cant check the fuses because i dont have the tool to remove them with.

Post Number: 6
Fuses arent blown and now it goes straight into protecion mode when i start my car and the amp turns on.

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 147
i think marc is right, u have it wired to too low of an impedance

Post Number: 8
But i wonder y it just started? It worked fine before with an even weaker amp from hifonics. So how would i make it so its no so low of an impendance?

Post Number: 9
this amp is 1 ohm stable and sry for double posting, i just looked it up on their site.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1085
ya, 1 ohm. Your running it at .75, which is .25 ohms below what its rated for. It may have just had enough of that and blew some mofits or caps.

Upload

Post Number: 10
What would be a good price worthy amp to use then?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3105
there's a guy selling an orion 1200d and kenny is selling a memphis MCD 1000d

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well since its still under warranty, i could just send it in and re wire the subs so they arent at such a low impendance right? It would be a lot easier IMO

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1090
do that^^^^ Get a new amp, then get some new subs that are compatible with 1 ohm amp. 3- dvc2 subs will give you a 1.34 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us