Ok KX1200.1.... WTF?

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 271
Alright... so I am driving to work this morning and my system is bumping and I'm having a good start to my day. I go inside work, then come out 2 hours later. Turn on my car, head unit turns on as usual, and the music starts... but no bass. I turn the bass level knob up all the way and turn my volume up and I still have no sub noises. No weird smells. No nothing...

So I look in my trunk and I see that there is no power getting to the amplifier because its red symbol light that turns red when it's on is not on.

Within those 2 hours of me being at work my car was not broken into. I did not CHANGE anything. The bass level was at a pretty low amount. I left everything EXACTLY as I had when I had gotten out of the car right after turning it off and having the subs fire, etc.

So... what the HELL happened? In a post I made in the accessories thread, I think this problem could be related... so please read this as well and let me know what you think.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/278232.html

Totally weird... and I can't stand listening to the music without the bass now I'm so used to it.

KX1200.1
2 12" Type Rs
1999 Toyota Camry
Stock battery
Stock BIG 3 (haven't upgraded yet)

I'm totally confused. Did it blow? Or is power not getting to it... or what? Please help!!!

Dave

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9488
Check all ur fuses..inline,in the amp..etc...alllllllll of them

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2978
use test light to make sure you have power on main line and on remote wire with radio on

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 272
Alright well... just to clear this up...

I'm not sure how I didn't notice in the first place (probably because I was pissed that ANOTHER thing doesn't work in this car), but it turns out that the power wire running into the fuse managed to fall out of the fuse and power was no longer getting to the amplifier at all... makes me wonder if this was causing the other problem in the car with the power issues. I even checked that damn fuse the first time but was so interested in the fuse that I didn't even notice the wire wasn't in the fuse. Good job for me.

I didn't even get to check if the subs still worked/music worked because my car died yesterday and is now at a mechanics :-(

Thanks for help Chauncey and Ty. I figure it was vibrations that wiggled the wire out of the fuse?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 712
or you just didn't tighten it enough

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 274
I never installed it... it was professionally installed it was fine for like 8 months.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 715
okay, so the so-called "professionals" didn't tighten/secure it properly.

vibrations should never be able to loosen wires from terminals. that can cause a fire.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 276
Could that have an effect on the battery/other electrical components of the car if that free hanging wire was live inside the engine? I agree it should have been more secure and am planning on taking the car back to the guys that did the install (very reputable for the Indianapolis area anyway...) and ask them about it. I did put it back in place tightened it has hard as I could. The one thing I noticed was that when I had reattached the wire to the fuse (note that the loop end of the power cord was NOT attached the battery at the time and the car was off), and then laid the wire down in the engine so I could move my screwdriver the lead from the power wire sparked when it came in contact with metal. How could this happen if there is nothing powering that wire?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us