Amp for components

Username: Drdrewusaf

Post Number: 4
Hello all,

I am again looking for a little help. The next mobile audio upgrade I am doing is calling for Infinity Kappas. To be specific, the 60.7cs 6.5" components in the front and the 52.7i 5.25" 2-ways in the back. RMS for the whole bunch (90W x 2 in front, 55W x 2 in back) equals 290W. All of the speakers are 2 ohms.

So the first question is, 2 channel or 4 channel? With 2 channel I know have the option of wiring each side up at 4 ohms or 1 ohm.

Next Q: If on a 2 channel amp power is shared equally over two devices with the same resistance, theoretically I shouldn't get more than a 220W RMS amp right (55W x 4)?

Same thing with 4 channel, any amps out there have adjustable output wattage or is that what the "input level" control is for?

Lastly, brands. My budget is currently unknown, however, when it comes to light it won't be much. So, try to keep it under $300 ebay price (used or new).

Thank you all yet again for your help!

Drew

Bronze Member
Username: Mitymouse

Post Number: 33
I'd go with a 4 channel infinity amp. The Kappas are nice, I've heard them. I wouldn't worry too much about wattage, they don't need much.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 386
def, a 4 channel, without a 4chnl. you wouldnt be able to fade or balence the speakers very well. i have an alpine to my kappas, sound great. but i have the 5x7's 100wrms each. still sound really good. i also havent had too good of look with infinity amps. have had to take to many back in the past... thats jus my take on it

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 392
didnt bump

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6748
alright if you run a 2 chan amp you will lose the ability to fade front to rear. you will present your amp with a 2ohm stereo load so make sure it is stable at that.(almost all amps are that are class a/b) A 60 watt amp x 4 will be fine(true wattage). If you decide to go with the 4 chan amp look for a good amp that does 80x4 or so like the ppi pcx 480:-) You are going to want to fade toward the front to take the extra strain off the rear speakers. This will just help them so that they will never see the full 80 watts like the front will.

Post Number: 5
Thanks fo the info so far!

I've had an Infinity amp before and it did what I asked of it for 3 jl 10w0's. That said, what about the Infinity Reference 5761A 6 channel amp? I will probably, and much later, install a single 10" sub...thinking jl 10w0 or 10w1v2. That amp would give me future expandability for that and it fits my current speaker requirements.

I'm not looking for LOUD or even loud. Just looking for, "that sounds and feels nice."

Does anyone have anything good to say about that amp?

Drew

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6775
I am selling my jl 12w6v2 and one of the best SQ amps orion ever made if you are interested:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mitymouse

Post Number: 40
I'm not famailiar with infinity amps, but I have ran their higher end subs, mids and tweets. I can't complain about them, especially the kappa and perfect series'. I would imagine their amps are as good as their components, as long as you don't abuse them.

The 5761A looks like a decent amp. I'm sure it'll push your mids and tweets just fine, and give you a little room to add some bass as well.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2959
need a 4 channel, ohm load would not be right for a 2 channel with 2 sets of kappas.

Post Number: 6
James,
No thanks on the offer...no room for a 12" sub box.

I think I'm going to go with the 5761A, the ease of installation, future expansion, and centralization of components makes it a winner in my situation.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Drew

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6783
all good just thought i would throw it out there:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us