Battery question

Bronze Member
Username: Bigben

Post Number: 73
i am getting a 200 amp alternator.(100 more than my stock!) i have a zx.1500.1 amp, and 2 15" L7's. would i NEED a new battery or should i be fine?? i perfer not to spend anymore money for a while. i should be fine for awhile right?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2883
Get a GOOD battery or 2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
is that all i need?? any caps or anything.

also what gauge wire sould i use the hook up the battery??

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1177
try it with your stock bat fisrt, if it fails get a kinetic. make sure to do the big three in 1/0 guage wire. also run 1/0guage for power wire for that amp

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6749
there you go^

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
what size fuse do i need for the 0 guage wire?? and is there a cheaper place to get it than ebay??

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3494
for that zx1500.1, fuse the 1/0wire at 150A.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3496
www.weldingsupply.com

1/0 welding cable....$2.06 per ft for black...$2.07 per ft for red
That about as cheap as you will find copper wire now days.

eD is coming out w/ some copper coated aluminium 1/0 pretty soon though...heard its gonna be $1.75-$2 per ft. That would be well worth looking into!

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3497
its not eD that coming out w/ that aluminium wire....its Knu Koncepts.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 854
if it was me i would just go all 300 amp fuses if ur usen 0 gauge ... but tyou dont have to and im not saying you should im just saying if it was me i would because 0 gauge can handle up to that much and really the fuse is only there to keep the wire from melting if too much power ever goes through it

Gold Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 1166
^^rofl

The fuse is there to protect the amp from recieving an oversurge of power, a surge that could potentially fry the amp.

Username: Sarcastic

Great Bend, Kansas USA

Post Number: 8
Hmm...Pretty sure that the fuses on the amp are there to protect the amp the fuse that you place less then 18in from the battery is there to protect your battery and vehicle electrical system.

Gold Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 1176
Vehicle and electrical system as well.. but you don't just go and stick the biggest fuse you can find on your wire, it needs to be matched up with what you will be pulling through the wire.. my amps require 120a and 30a, so I placed a 150a fuse near the battery.. not a 300a. My wire is 1/0awg, but I wouldn't/shouldn't go out and get a 300a fuse because my wire can take it.

My amps don't have onboard fuses.. and fusing near the amp isn't required "but isn't a bad idea". If what you're saying is entirely true, I can remove the fuse under the hood and not have to worry about my amps.. but that's not the case.

My long awaited point is.. you don't stick the biggest fuse you can find 18" from your battery if you're pulling 1700-1800 watts RMS, because a 300a fuse won't do squat if something goes wrong with that system.. regardless of whether it's an oversurge or not :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could care less.. I'll never stick a worthless fuse in my system lol

Username: Mschwitz

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 5
Fuses under the hood are meant to protect the car from starting on fire if the wire is shorted. The fuse should be big enough to pass the current your amp needs and smaller than the current the wire itself can take.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 855
Mick you couldnt remove the fuse under the hood because then you would leave ur self vulnerable to a spike that could be too much for the wire and then cause it to melt the outer plastic caseing on the wire then leave the wire bare to touch metal and melt to it or worse so its a bad example of what you could do if fuse ratings didnt matter under the hood... i always go as big as the wire can handle because i do a bit of competeing and in a comp every DB counts and with the length of the wire comen from the battery to the amp, power dissipates on its way to the amp while traveling that 14 to 18 feet of wire it has to go through before reaching the amp and that can hurt you in a comp which is where even a single DB could give u a loss or win and i also didnt tell the guy to go and put the 300 amp,, i only said it was what i would do and he didnt have to but the amp still would be in no harm if he did because the 0 gauge only has a fuse to keep the wire safe not the amp,, amps have there own fuses for that

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 856
^^rofl

The fuse is there to protect the amp from recieving an oversurge of power, a surge that could potentially fry the amp.

i find it funny that you would write rolling on the floor laughing and then go on to tell me that i was telling some one to go and do somthing that could potentially harm his amp,, because i would never tlel some one they could do somthing even tho i knew it would harm the amp, ive been around car audio a lomg time and i have never lead anyone down the wrong path yet and i dont ever intend to so dont question me newbie ....

and even if i was going to match that amp with a good fuse the fuse would still be a 200amp one no matter what and since he has the high output alternator his amp should get all it needs with a 200 amp fuse even after we equate in the dissipation that would take place as the power makes its way to the amp and all the things that could rob him of power, what we are trying to do here is get the best performance out of the amp as possible even if the difference in performance couldnt be noticed by the human ear

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 369
If the fuse just kept the coating from melting, why wouldn't the coating melt at any point before the fuse on the wire?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 315
Because certain gauge wire can take certain current through it, so the point is to stop that current if it exeeds the wire limits, thats why the in-line fuse is there.
Wire will only get hot and melt the coating if there is too much current going through it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us