Mono MTX 421D --> how to wire up 2 DVC subs?!?

Anonymous

I got an MTX 421D amp and two 10" audiobahn DVC subs. Whats the best way to wire this up? here's the specs on the amp:

- 210 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
- 420 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
- Adaptive Class D Technology
- 85 Hz low-pass crossover, 18 dB/octave
- Preamp outputs
- PWM MOSFET switching power supply
- Gain control
- Thunder EQ bass boos
- Speaker-level inputs with SmartEngage

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous

Sounds like you went on a Circuit City spree. You can't wire both subs to a 2 ohm load, and a 4 ohm load wont have any power for those subs. Best thing to do is go back and get a pair of SVC 4 ohm subs, If you did buy them at Circuit City, get the Infinitys they sound better. MTX 421 is a good amp, if you want to spend money on a better sub, Adire Audio Shiva's are 125 each and sound MUCH better.

Anonymous

Well, I bought the 10's off my friend for a good deal. No circuit city spree here (I dont even think we have car audio in our circuit city's in canada), buy anyways....so there is no way I can hook up both subs then? Even though there are two channels coming out of the amp?

Anonymous

Well, I bought the 10's off my friend for a good deal. No circuit city spree here (I dont even think we have car audio in our circuit city's in canada), buy anyways....so there is no way I can hook up both subs then? Even though there are two channels coming out of the amp? Oh yah, the subs I think are 300W.

Silver Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 125
if they're dual 2 ohms you can wire them to 2 ohms by wiring them in series parallel. you didnt mention if they are 2 or 4 ohm DVC. it makes a difference. there isnt two channel, just 4 outputs through 1 channel. if they are dual 4 ohms your only pushin 105 watts to each. even at 2 ohms that amp is weak for those subs. dont expect too much from those subs, especially if your looking for SQ.

Username: Irish

Post Number: 1
I believe that the subs are dual 4 ohm, but meant to be run at 2 or 8 ohm. Any more suggestions out there? Should I just sell the subs and buy something else? I got them for a good deal, thats why I gots them. They are a few years old. Thanks.
ohhh, and what is SQ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
a 4 ohm DVC can only be wired to 2 or 8 ohm. its the combination of 2 that would give them a 4 or 1 ohm load.

JL W0, 125 watts rms, can be picked up at a local shop for $90-$100 each, or even cheaper online.

JL W3v2, 250 watts rms, bout $150-$180 at a local shop

SQ = Sound Quality

Post Number: 2
so, I should pretty much just buy some different subs then. Sell the audiobahn's and get some 10's with a lower RMS wattage? Should they be DVC or single? or should I just buy a single sub? hmmm, dilemma.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
most mono amps are stable to 2 ohms, so 2 2 ohm DVC subs or 2 4 ohm SVC could give you a 2 ohm load to the amp. should look into some of those JL's, try to listen to them in a store or from a friend to see if you like them. much better quality than the audiobahns.

Post Number: 5
Yah, I only have the audiobahns because I got them off my friend for pretty much nothing. Now, I've read alot of stuff about people complaining that they are crap subs, and they are all about the looks and shitz. I know that these subs are a couple of years old, and dont have any of that chrome shizznat.....and difference from the new stuff?

Anonymous

Still sound like crap, without the chrome. Audiobahn has always been overhyped, and their business practices are horrible. I wish stores would quit pushin their s*it on customers. You should probably sell them. they won't work anyway, get a good pair of subs that handle about 250W RMS each.

Post Number: 6
Yah, I'm going to look into getting some different subs then. Should I go with 1 DVC or two single? I know someone suggested those JL WO and JL W3v2. Now, I'm not a hardcore audio enthusiast....but I do like my music. Will 'I' notice much difference between those two subs? And any suggestions for other subs? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us