Advice Please?

Username: Largeafrican

Post Number: 1
Im starting to put my car sound together. I need some advice on what to do. I have the Alpine CDA 9813. I purchased 2 pairs of Infinite speakers and an MTX 404 amp to push them. Right now the sound in my car sounds great, but i know that i could be better. Now going to buy subs, but im notsure on what to buy. I love bass, so i need something that could give me ALOT of bass. My friends keep telling me to buy the JL W7's ( two 12"). I was reading on some website that the new MTX thunder9500 T9515-44 beats the JL W7's. And since i already have one MTX amp i was thinking that it would be hot if i had MTX subs and another MTX amp to push the subs. And then i was also thinking should i get two 12" subs or one 15" sub. This is were i need you to jump in and give me some advice on what to do.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2821
that MTX report is misleading, and only compares their smallest model of sub.. as the subs get larger, the MTX looks far less appealing.
I'd also suggest two 12W7 subs and a JL 1000/1 amp to push them if you have the money.
Otherwise look at elemental designs at www.edesignaudio.com as a less costly alternative for good subs.

Post Number: 2
ok so if i get two 12" JL W7's what is the best amp that ypu would recommend that i get to push it.

Post Number: 3
i have another question about what i need to make my system sound hot. I just finished speaking to one of my friends in school he works at circuit city and does the car audio instalments. He is helping me put together my system. He is the one that told me to get the alpine deck with the infinity speakers. Anyway I drive a 2001 Nissam Altima and he told me that if i was to get two 12" Jl W7's it would not make any sense, because he said that my car would not even really be able to power it enough to use it at it maximum potential, and that they probably would just barely fit in my trunk because i would need a big as box to fit them. He said that i should instead buy two 12" W6v2's instead with one jl audio 1000.1 mono amp instead. He said that i would only need one of these amps to push both subs instead of wasting money on two of these amps to push the two 12" JL W7's. What do you think about this.

Bronze Member
Username: Blindell

Post Number: 17
what he means by not being able to power it is that he doesnt beleive your car's alternator can supply the power.. it should be written on the alternator itself, or you can call the manufacturer.

Alot of people love JL stuff, but as far as bang for your buck goes... i hope you have deeeeep pockets. And if they are that deep, send some to meee =D

Post Number: 4
But im sayin i could get two JL 12" W6v2's for about anywhere from $500 - to $648 and i can get the mono amp for about $750. Thats about 1338. after istallation and all the other bullshit i would have spent like $1700. thats not that bad.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2859
the pair of 12W7s would be ideal with the 1000/1 JL amp.
The W7s will work just fine in 1cu foot enclosures each, sealed.
2cu ft isn't much space at all for the subs, and won't take any more airspace than the 12W6v2s would

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
$1700 not bad?! You guys must be like, old, and have jobs, and money, and such.

I just bought (not an hour ago) three Xtant A1040 10"ers ($160), a Hifonics Brutus 1000D amp and 4gauge kit($250) and a triple 10" box that will, incredibly, fit my trunk ($60).
=470$

Now im not saying my Xtant array will sound as good (or loud, if thats how you get your jollies) as a pair of 12W7s, but ive gotta ask, will they sound 3.6x better?

Some of these sub prices (read: JL, Kicker) are just obscene.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 17
yeah, that's just silly to spend that much. get two polk-momo 12" subs (each in sealed enclosures) for $179 at sounddomain.com, or elsewhere. I got 'em for $99 each last week at Fry's. find a good deal on one class d amp to power the subs, i paid $229 (down from about $500) for a polk amp at circuit city, they're discontinuing the polk amps so the price is right.

polk has a buy one, get the second speaker 1/2 price. for components, that's $300 for 2 pairs of 6.5's. for coax's, that's $150. I used crutchfield and got indispensable tech support, as well as all of the extra doo-dads that I needed.

amp kit at wal-mart.

you can spend a lot less than full retail price if you look around, and get a system that sounds great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i am *not* going to buy my amp kit at the same place I buy my socks. im sorry, just not gunna happen.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2879
I'm not going to get into an argument over if JL is worth the money, but look at a 13W7's specs. 32mm Xmax one-way. that sub can move enough air that I've seen one implode a poorly constructed sub box.

If you want to see some terrific subs, also look at (listen to) ID Max, RE, Oz Audio, MMATS..
granted your Xtants are a nice choice as well, and well worth their cost, too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
32mm? thats insane...

JL 13W7
-------
Xmax: 1.26"
1000W rms
Surface Area = (pi)(radius)^2
SA = (3.14)(7.5)^2
SA = 176.6 sq "
Air Displaced (1way) = 222.55 cubic inches -- not bad at all.
Cheapest (online,new): $699.00 --> http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=177&language=1

Xtant A1040
-----------
Xmax: 9.4mm (.37")
250W rms
Surface Area = (pi)(radius)^2
SA = (3.14)(5)^2
SA = 78.5 sq "
Displacement = SA * Xmax
Disp = (78.5)(.37)
Air Displacement (1way) = 29.05 cu "
Cheapest (online,new): $39.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3291&item=3095426433&rd=1 &ssPageName=WDVW

222.55/29.05 = 7.66
The 13W7 moves 7.66 times more air than one of my 10" Xtants

7.66*(39.99) = $306
It would take $306 worth of xtant 10"ers to move the same ammount of air as one JL 13W7, which is just under $700.

End Result:
Yeah, the 13W7 is impressive, but bang for your buck wise, run away. Fast.
And yes, as a 17 year old kid without a job, I look at everything in terms of bang for your buck ;)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2891
ahh but there is at least one factor to also add in to your displacement equasion..
how much air volume for the enclosures you'll need for about 9 Xtants to equal the output of one 13W7
1.2ft^3 for the W7, give or take...
if you only have rom for, or want one sub, and you want it to not only blow ya out of the car, but do it with amazing accuracy and tight response, that's your boy right there.
Sure, lots of good solutions, and it's always a matter of matching the gear to your needs..
everything's got it's place. That's why I avoid most of the topic threads on "which is the best?"

Here's a W7 example.
I'm looking at setting up a '00 celica.
I want to fiberglass the enclosures into the side panels of the hatchback area to take up as little space as I can, but I still want it to hit hard.
I'm thinking two 10W7s, or two Eclipse Ti 12", or possibly twp Oz or ID subs... but they need to work ideally in fairly tight sealed enclosures, with up to 600wRMS per sub @ 2 ohms, due to the amp I've chosen to use.

Unregistered guest
GlassWolf, you serious? 2 10W7s in a Celica 7th Gen? This is a hatch. That kind of SPL will KILL your eardrums. Its such small interior, even smaller subs will hit deep. If you had a coupe, sedan or SUV, i'd say go for it. Unless you compete, then do whatever the hell you want.

I'm getting two JL 10W3v2s. A friend of mine has them in his hatch with a custom box. Trust me, more than enough bass, again, unless you compete. Or you just want the loudest system ever. I drive a 04 Celica and that's what i'm having installed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us