What amp should i buy???

Username: Bigben

Post Number: 1
i have 2 12" L7's and 2 12" L5's. what is the best amp i should buy for them?? i was thinkin the kicker sx900.2.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2697
why do you have a 2 pair of different subs?? that's going to sound bad, especially with kicker square subs. If i were you i'd pick the l7s, if they're dual 4 ohm get a hifonics 1606d and if they're dual 2 get kicker zx 1500.1

Sell those l5s or use it on other rides

Post Number: 6
is it smart to hook up two subs to a 1 channel amp? and why would it sound bad?

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 335
man you never wanna mix subs like that.. i thought i was smart one time and bought 2 rockford 8's thinkin it would give me more high bass. but ended up sounding like pure sh!t. dont do it.. sell the l5's... im not a kicker sub guy myself. but the l7's are better than the l5's and ive only heard them once each at a shop.. jus not my sytle.... but it will fine to hook two subs to a 1 channel amp, most one channel amps (now days) have dual speaker connection terminals for easy installation and then internally bridges it to one channel. but if it just have +- inputs jus twist the pos. wire and put it in the pos slot and vice versa. no big deal

Post Number: 7
what if i just have 4 L7's would that be better??

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 336
oh yeah man way better than mixed subs. u can have as many as the same subs as you want.. some ppl may disagree with me but i like to have my subs match vc config and same ohms. i would really highly recomend that actually cause you could blow them potentially

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1171
yeah. 4 12" l7's would be nice. i almost went with that until i decided that i was tired of kicker subs. port them with a kx2500. i'll bet you could hit 150db with that setup in an suv.

Post Number: 9
the L5's and the l7's are almost the same wattage so i though it would be straight. do you think that havin the all hooked up would run my battery down?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
also my L7's are 4 ohm so should i get 2 more that are 4ohm or would it not matter??

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 338
def, get 2more that are 4ohm. it will save you alot of headache...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
what amp should i get. i was thinkin of gettin the kicker sx900.2 cuz i found it for cheap and i dont feel like payin 400 for an amp. i already have a power acoustic amp but i dont know about puttin that in.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 341
no way that amp will be enough juice. neither one of those together would be. sell the PA. and get a nice used amp. if im correct. those are 750wrms each. thats like 3000wrms. your going to need a big a5$ amp. like the orion hcca-5000d. or the big hifonics amp. i dont even know what its called. maxximus or somethin glike that. and those are both over 1k. or u could jus keep the TWO l7s and buy a kx2500.1 for like 400 bucks and be right on the head. if you had 4l7s. you would like 2 6farad caps. 2 or 3 batteries. atleast a 280 amp alternator. it could turn ugly in a heartbeat. but if you do decide to do all that ive got mad props for you dude... and i bet it beats like hell too...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
well i want all 4 four subs so should i just get one big amp or 2 amps that are good. im not tryin to get too complicated here but i would def. need another battery and taht farad caps right??

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 894
You'll need to upgrade your alt. to a high output, you'll need to do the big 3 wiring and run 1/0awg cable for your amp.. all that before you can run a 2500.1 kicker.. if you don't do those things and the amp actually holds up in your ride.. you definately won't see 2500 watts and you'll be clipping the h3ll out of your subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2732
stay with 2 subs for a while hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
what if i just get 2 15 inch L7s. what amp should i buy for that??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2747
a 2000w rms amp, and depends on the DVC config.

Man you will need a HO alt, BIG 3, at least 2 yellow tops, dynamat 0 AWG wire, many other things...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
what is an HO alt and how do i do a big 3?? im sorry i dont know very much about cars. and how would i hook up 2 yellow tops too??

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 346
high output alternator. its what keep your battery charged. on a simple term. umm i pretty sure that julio is referring to batteries???? maybe as yellowtops. i really dont know either, upgrade to 1/0 awg wire. and maybe a 2-3 farad cap.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 908
If you're going to do the big 3, new batteries and a HO alt. you should really reconsider the subs you're going to install. It's ALOT of work for a set of L7's :\

No offense intended, if you really like your subs then keep them :-)

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 909
and dont install a cap :\

Gold Member

Post Number: 2753
^^^only depends mick, a cap has some good functions when you have a good charging system and yellow tops are batteries ^^^^

and yeah is a lot of work for 2 l7s hehe but you must do it

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 348
^^ yeah thats why im getting a 4 farad cap. cause ive got a h/o alt coming.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2761
do you have a 4k rms system Chase????

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 349

Gold Member

Post Number: 2762
did you choose a brand already??

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 351
oh geez no.. but all the ones im loookin at have the same power i just cant decide. its between 1800-2200 wrms amps and.. plus my 350wattrms for my doors..(alrady have that) i cant decide between crossfire, and orion. and i always seem to find a new one wen i make up my mind

Gold Member

Post Number: 2764
get a 2.5 farad cap and a 0.5 for the other amp.

The deal is 1 farad per 1000w

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6672
the 4 fared cap will be just fine.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 353
yeah i knew that. you really think i should hook a .5 for that alpine... your the frist person whos ever told me that. but i dont seein it hurting it any. sure.. so a 2.5 and a .5 i get caps for real cheap. friend works at best buy. gettin the digitals too... they look coolor

Gold Member

Post Number: 2765
see which way you can get it cheaper...

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1179
You don't need a cap for each amp. both amps will use any capacitors you have hooked up. The capacitor and amp power leads should be in parallel.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 360
well they arent linked, they both run with an amp kit, from the battery. i had my big amp running off 4awg kit, and my other smaller amp running off 8awg kit, so idk.... ill think of something
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us