What does a capacitor actually do for your system???

Username: 3kgt

Post Number: 7
i've been wanting to to buy a capacitor for my system for sometime now cause i heard it will help my subs to hit harder... what is the actual purpose of a capacitor and what benefits does it have... and lastly what would be the recommended kind for a system of 2 12's 1800watts rms each running off a 760 watt amp???

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1908
read this:

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Username: 3kgt

Post Number: 8
thanks ctmike that really helped a lot... do u happen to know where i can get a high output alternator.... something higher than 130 amp... or is that considered high?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1392
www.excessiveamperage.com

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1393
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 190
3kgt.....if it is a large case alt, it will handle more than your average system. Not that you should, but it will.

As far as caps go.... http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7166

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1393
Renegadesrun.. Something that thread fails to mention, is the discharge rates of capacitors, and the difference between the internal resistances between batteries and capacitors.

A lot of times, the reason there is a voltage drop at all to begin with, even with moderate systems that arent too extermely power hungry, is because your alternator dosnt always put out lets say 80 amps, if there isnt 80 amps of current draw. However, if your car is running at 40 amps of draw, with an 80 amp alternator, and all of the sudden there is a large amount of power pulled - it takes the alternator a split second to actually start putting out this power. (assuming it's at a high enough rpm and not idle)

The capacitor has a much lower ESR than a standard car battery, too.. Meaning that the power is available MUCH more quickly to the amplifiers upon request. Granted, this is only a split second of difference, and saying it would be an audible difference in sound, is debatable.

I wont go into my oppinion on caps, because it's an argument that wont readily be won by either side. People are going to believe what they want. :-)

Just mentioning what was left out of his whole 'lets compare the storage of a capacitor, to the storage of a battery', without comparing resistance/discharge rate.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2673
seth d u only hangout in the accessory section now lol

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 85
good point seth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums