The unnamed stock alternator

Username: Blindell

Post Number: 1
So im getting ready to install a sound system in my 1999 Ford Mustang v6 3.8L, which will be powered by (1) Hifonics Brutus 1000W (to be run <=800W) mono class D (for the bass) and (1) Hifonics Zues Z4400 220W class A/B. When I went to go check my alternator (to see if it could withstand the burden), but to my surprise, I cant find ANYTHING on it. No model numbers, no nothin'. I WAS able to find the model number to the voltage regulator... which helped oh-so-much =\ After much consulting on the Ford website, more tinkering under the hood, the best I can do is find stats on cars of the same year/engine (115-130A).

Anyone have any insight as to other methods of finding the alternator amperage?

Also, asumming it is 115A, would I really need a bigger one? My calcs come to about 97amps used, and I know that with my 5F capacitor (im a physics nerd, having a 1F cap would be like a car enthusiast driving a mustang v6 ;) )the drain from the sub amp wont be the 71amps it calcs to be (yes i know that capacitors dont reduce the drain, but I also know that bass notes only hit a certain percentage of the time, and the cap is there to help smooth the draw between hits)

Comments? Criticizm? Im open to everything.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2759
you didn't figure for efficiency.
you'll want an alternator in the 230-270A range for the 1Kwatt class D and 220w class AB amps.

capacitors won't help a great deal.
you need to focus on RMS ratings, which are a continuous draw..
if the alternator won't handle the continuous draw, the caps are pointless.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us