Alternator or amplifier?

Apu
Unregistered guest
my subs dont hit as hard after 5 minutes of music. its almost as if they are being gradually turned down over time.

* car toys told me it was the amp,
* crutchield advisor said capacitor,
* and high output alternator seems to be the
answer to every post in this forum. ;)

what do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 71
The AMP is not the problem. I would say the alternator. But it could be a old battrey too.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 21
Remember that after 10 minutes (yes i know u said 5) your ear drunms realize that they are in a louder environment and begin to close, to the stereo may actually be producing the same amount of bass,

Example, you are watching tv and keep turning up the game, your wife has been reading upstairs and comes down to join u, she asks why the tv is so loud and yet it sounds normal to u.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3349
could be the alternator going from cold to hot rating, which drops the output, which may cause the amp to clip.
if the amp has a regulated power supply and regulated output stage, the amp may get quieter at that point, being unable to generate the same amount of power.
If this is the case, the cap won't help you without increasing the alternator output as well.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3350
PS Crutchfield advisors are idiots.
They're taught to sell you whatever they can.
I've rarely heard anyone mention advice given to them by someone from Crutchfield that turned out to be accurate, helpful, or correct.

APU
Unregistered guest
UPDATE!!
My alternator died today!
So i guess that WAS the problem.

The alternator started making a terrible rattley noise yesterday and this morning, however now, its silent...which makes me think the battery might be using its reserve power or somethin.

well i guess its a good thing i didnt buy an unnecessary cap or amp.

thanks guys. you'll just saved me a bunch of money!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us