Audiobahn A8000V, just a shitty amp?

Silver Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 150
I recently went from one Type S 12 powered by an OLD Power Acoustik 200 watt amp to two of the same Type S 12s powered with an 800 watt Audiobahn A8000V. They both don't hit half as hard as the one did with that old PA amp. Do I need to upgrade my alternator and get a capacitor so that it can get more power or something?

I have a 94 Explorer with a stock alt(I believe 95 amps) and a run of the mill battery. I'm running 4 gauge wire, so it can carry enough current for the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 957
set the gain correctly use the page on subwoofertools.com

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 205
do you have them wired right to a 2ohm load? what kinda box, prefab?

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 151
I believe I wired them to a proper 2 ohm load, and I thought I set the gain to an alright setting. The box is just a sealed box off of ebay. It's the same box though, I was just running only one sub off of the smaller amp.

I'm going to try the subwoofertools.com instructions now, I think my dad has a digital multimeter I can borrow.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2638
that amp isn't shitty

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 152
I used the calculator on subwoofertools.com and set it for 600 watts, and the sound quality is great. But with my Power Acoustik amp I could feel the bass in my chest with certain notes. With this one it's just loud, and doesn't seem to be as deep.

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 207
how do you have youuur settngs on your amp? low pass should be at 80hz do youu have the subsonic filter on or off?

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 153
The Power Acoustik amp didn't have filters at all, so all I set on it was the gain. My Audiobahn I'm not sure what my low pass is at, but I'll try 80. I've been running it with subsonic on and at a little over 20. I figured since my subs frequency response is 25 Hz - 1000 Hz, it would be better for it. Am I wrong? I've got my bass boost at about 5 dB out of 18.

Just out of curiousity, why should my low pass be at 80?

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 475
my low pass is looowwwwww lol, What kind of head unit do you have? Did it loose power and loose its settings? If you have a good HU you can make pretty much any amp sound alright.. you should check your ohms again to on a multi meter... does the amp get real hot?

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 154
I have a bottom of the line Pioneer head unit. It's the DEH-1800. When I try to boost the bass much with the equalizer on it, it seems to get distorted pretty quick.

The amp doesn't seem to get hot at all, but it sounds like a good idea to check my ohms. Do I just touch the multimeter contacts to the speaker wires while it's running? I'm also going to check and see if one of them is out of phase tonight. I swear I hooked them up perfectly to 2 ohms, but I'm willing to try anything to get these subs pounding.

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 155
Oh yea, I was also wondering if it mattered what frequency I use to set the gain. I played a 30 Hz tone on repeat and adjusted the gain until I had 34.6 AC Volts coming out of the speaker outputs, which is supposed to give me 600 watts at 2 ohms.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 480
I would do it to somwhat waht your box is tuned to... you should maybe try somwhere from 40-55hz your choice.. when you test the subs, DO NOT PUT THE MULTIMETER on the speaker terminals until they are disconnected or you will have a completely wrong reading, also make sure you have the wires correct, if one wire is backwards your polarity isnt right and it makes the subs have more distortion and about half of there powerhandling.. What model subs are they? Also i havnt had that HU but i dont think i have heard much about it either, you may want to upgrade to a better HU.. unless it is a good headunit.. is it premier?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2668
^^^^ i had wires wrong once... the Vol knob was full and the thing was barely moving air... i changed the wires and set them correctly... everything was fine

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 156
How do I meter the Ohms with the subs disconnected? I disconnected them when I set the gain, but I don't see how the multimeter could read the subs Ohms with no current. They are Alpine Type S SWS-1222Ds, and the HU isn't a Premier, just plain old Pioneer.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 482
Well u have them disconnected because with the amp connected it trys to read it to when it dosnt have a true ohm load.. its more of the source so it will give you a wide range, the subs you want disconnected when u do it so u get your nominal load, the average it holds, when the sub moves of course it changes for split seconds and goes back, its like pushing on a sub or measuring the ohm load with the sub sitting on the cone\combing it just dosnt work. also you should probally double check your wiring inside the box to, that the + from the speakers are truly going to the + terminal in the speaker box.

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 157
Ugh, I just got done double checking my connections. When I turned my truck on I heard some slammin bass, so I turned around smiling. That didn't last long, cuz I saw only one sub was going. I don't know what's wrong now, but the problem before was a super sh!tty connection from the speaker wire to one of the terminals inside my box.

Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry for wasting your time since it just ended up being a bad job connecting the terminals on my part. I never double checked my wiring before I hooked up this new amp cuz I was so excited, and it bit me in the @$$. Hopefully tommorow I'll find why only one sub is going.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3743
proly another bad connection :-D hope ya find it

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 483
Just make sure it gets wired right so it stays slammin :-)

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 158
Woo Hoo! One of the jumpers looked a little bent up and worn out, so I replaced it last night. Well I guess the one I replaced it with was actually bad. I tried to meter the Ohms of the one with the new jumper and it didn't even have an Ohm load. I can feel the bass in every hair of my body with every note, these Alpines slam as hard as I had hoped. :-D

Gold Member

Post Number: 2670
haha... told you, check the wires hehe

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 514
:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums