Remote wire dead?

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 607
what is an alternative to the remote turn on lead?

i read something about a relay, but that wouldnt push constant power would it?

i also read something about a 20 amp fuse with a rocker/toggle switch? wouldnt a much smaller fuse work better for such a low current draw?

any other suggestions appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3577
what do you mean, an alternative? REM wires dont short out easy if thats what you think happened

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3044
alternative to REM output on back of HU - ACC lead from the fuse box. not constant or the amps will not turn off when the car turns off.

a relay is only needed if you are turning on multipul amps and accessories with the REM lead.

fuse really isn't needed in a REM wire, and 20 amps is way too big. not even .5 amps of current flow through the REM wire.

switches are only used if you want to turn off the amps while driving for some reason.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 608
See I thought a .5a fuse would work, but I wasn't sure because of an archived thread on here that I read. If I run a rocker/toggle switch I want it to be fused because my xtant amps aren't fused amps and I would rather store them than run the risk of hurting them.

I blew an in line fuse, when I went to replace it it sparked but didn't blow, most likely because my expensive distribution block (my bass cap lol) was discharged from being on but not connected to +. Anyways, afterwards the amp and cap dont turn on. They are both wired into the REM on my head unit, so I used a jumper wire to turn them on, it worked.. so I took the jumper off and it stayed on! it was weird.. but then I shut the car off went into the store and when I Came out and left they didnt turn on with the deck. jumper wire worked again but they didn't stay on once I removed it.. I was upset so I took off the wire tossed it and opened the monitor on my HU, and when it opened the amps came on.. but it could have been me hitting a pot hole and the wire being pinched in the seat, too!

I'm gonna investigate this problem.. anymore help is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6634
sounds like a short to me, but if you think it's shorting out from the deck itself do what brandon said and wire it to your fuse box. Your radio fuse will work just fine in the fuse box.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 972
"They are both wired into the REM on my head unit, "
Do you mean your amp power and amp rem are connected to the hU rem wire?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3586
i think he means both amps em are wired together, then to the HU

When you you usin the jumper, were you connecting it from the REM wire straight to a 12v source?

cause there are other ways you ca rule out if ur rem wire shorted. I thought mine as too, and i found out my remote in the back of the HU was shorted out instead.

you can alo just connect the rem wire from the remote (on the back of the HU) straigh to the batt, and if it turns on, you can rule out that ur remote iin the bak of the HU is dead

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3587
but you can just wire the REM wire straight to the "Load" side of the "radio" fuse, and also "IGN" fuse.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 609
lol marc.. im no car audio no0b :-)

my capacitor has a remote input so it shuts off and turns on with the HU.. i wired that and my amp to the remote output from the head unit.

im gonna go check it all out now and get back to you guys with a conclustion.. i fell asleep earlier and FINALLY woke up

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 614
I have a patch wire in the rear under my seat because the wire wasn't long enough originally.. I pulled the two wires apart, re-attatched them and taped them and it works perfect again :-)

Thanks for the input, everbody!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3602
what wasnt long enough? ur RCA's?

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 619
no, the remote wire.. it wasn't long enough so I added a patch which is about 1 foot long.

i fixed it all up now

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3604
im glad to hear that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us