Car problem from my system.. you think?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1258
so i experience a couple things today... first off i noticed early in the day that my sub would cut out for a second or two then come back and it would do this every few minutes at high volumes [45+ of 62] This is when i remembered someone said they think my gain is a lil too high so i turned it down a tiny bit...

then a little bit later i played my sub for about 2 minutes at about half volume when the car was off and then tried to start my car and it died (ive played my sub for minutes before with the car off and never came close to dying)

ever later in the day i was driving to my friends school (bumping the whole time) and i was waiting in the parking lot and it was hot so i had the air conditioning on at about half power and my system on about half power. i was parked but the car was still on and i was giving it a little bit of gas every few SECONDS. so after 10 minutes of this i turn off the car and get out and i see some smoke coming out from under the hood and a BOILING noise that went on for about 5 minutes! i didnt realize it but my car temp gage was very very high! luckily it started after that and everything was 'fine'

i also notice some pretty damn loud alt whine now that wasnt very noticable at all before...

all this started about a week after i installed my Fi Q. my whole system is drawing about 1400MAX WRMS now. i got a 160a alt from nate and a nothing special battery...

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN MY DAMN CAR? THANK YOU FOR EVEN READING THIS I APPRECIATE IT.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1368
One thing I noticed about my alt from nate, and I'm assuming all HO alts - is they run very, very hot. This might have pushed your car over the edge, if it was close to the safe operating temperature limit to begin with?

Check your water in the Radiator. This would be a good place to start.

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 181
my alt whines bad too, but it isnt consistent at all, one day it will whine, or i guess its more of a scratchy sound, then the next it wont

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
My car died today :-(

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 551
the alt was probly not installed correctly who put it in

Gold Member

Post Number: 1269
me! its not rocket science...

plus my step dad was a mechanic for 20 years n now owns a shop and he watched over and made sure i did it all corectly.

if that was the case dont you think it would have died a couple months ago when i first installed it?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3568
it could take time...

also, the boiling noise sounds like it was comin from ur resevior... sounds like an overheating issue definently. Hows ur radiator?

and when ur car died, do you know if it was just your battery or what? how did it die?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1270
im pretty sure the battery is completely dead cuz it wouldnt even try to start. it would just make that clicking noise. even after we jumped it, it would die after we put it into gear. my step dad is bringing home a new battery just so he can drive it down to his shop and take a closer look to see whats wrong. ill let you know what happens

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 874
damn that sucks your radiator must have gotten low and boiled up and evaprotated most of it. id check your oil leval, flush out your radiator and put that new battery in. also check the belts on your alt.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 279
Are you running electric cooling fans for your engine Matt?You may want to check the board on them if so.I once had a camaro with dual electric cooling fans(FlexLite?)Can't remember the name but I noticed the radiator boiling over so I checked the board on the fans and it was friend :-( So I ran a switch to a distrubition block and turned on my fans whenever I saw my temp go up :-) It was a hassle but it worked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
im not sure about the electric cooling fans. its a pretty old car so probably not but i dont know too much about cars. its a 89 civic.

anyways...about 20 minutes ago i just installed a new battery my step dad brought home and i hooked it up and looked up and i saw my dome light in the car was on! thats most likely the damn problem. stupid mistake. we all do them tho.

that still doesn't explain the overheating so im still having my step dad take it down to his shop tomorrow and inspect the whole thing.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 622
You're fan could be NOT turning on when your car gets too hot. Just about EVERY honda has dual cooling fans, one is for the a/c and if it were to burn out while/or before you had your a/c going it would cause your car to overheat, and yes this would cause a boiling noise because the coolant would be passed it's heating temperature.
My 1991 accord has dual fans, this happened to me but without the a/c.. so take it from experience. You may want to unhook the fan, take a jumper wire and hook it to the battery ( as long as its a two wire fan, it wont matter which way you hook it up because if it's hooked up wrong it will spin backwards without hurting the fan).. if it works, test the other the same way.. if that works then it's not the fans. check the upper and lower hoses on the radiator (when cool), you can squeeze them.. if they flatted then they're empty and that's your problem... if full they won't budge much and move on. Last is to change out your thermostat, very easy on the hondas.. it should be right on the front of the block with the upper hose connected to it, most of the time just two bolts - remove it and scrape away the old gasket, replace the gasket and thermostat and bolt it back down.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 76
every few seconds u stepped on the gas?.... just leave it in park and the fan should automatically come on @ idle and keep ur engines airflow goin, just be sure whenever u see ur temp go up, stop and let it cool and then first open ur radiator cap and see if its dry, i check mine every week just to be sure, because my nissan runs a little too warm for my taste sometimes...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1275
Im not sure about the over heating problem because it hasnt happened again so i think its fine. had everything checked out.

you know whats G@Y??? i had my alt. checked n hooked up to volt meter machine... (not really sure what its called) but my alt was tested and its only putting out 40-50 amps.. MAX! and 12 volts. this was supposed to be a 160 HO amp from nate and something is wrong with it. Anyone got his email?? i forgot it

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 924
^^i dont know but a long time ago i remember reading soething on how you have to use a certain meter to measure it because it doesnt spin enough or something idont know

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 383
Ask Glasswolf the correct way to measure the amps coming off of it.Nate from Excessive amperage right?I heard they make some crap alts from quite a few people :-( I hope this isn't the case with your alt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1302
i think it is the case with my alt. i cant play my system loud at all anymore or my car wont start the next day! ive been trying to get ahold of nate thru email and he is not getting back to me. when i was talking to him about buying the alt he would be quick about answering e-mails. e-mailed him 4 days ago and no response. this is FUCKED up =(

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 269
Matt F, this is very weird. The "symptoms" of your car problems are extremely similar to mine. I had my alternator put in by my gf's dad who knows all about cars, and everything has been working fine. I can play the system loud, etc... but a few days ago I was sitting in my hospital's parking garage and had turned the car on and the radio was off and I heard what sounded like a bubbling noise coming from inside my engine... and if I stepped on the gas a little bit it still sounded like that. The best way (lol) I could think of describing it was it sounded like someone taking a piss into a regular toilet (the ones women complain about us not putting the seat down on...).

And then after I had pulled out of the garage and was waiting at a light my battery light was flickering on and off and my idle RPMs were dancing all over the place and then the car died. But I stick key back in ignition and it turned on fine no problems... very strange indeed.

NO big 3 upgrade, and it couldn't be a heat issue it's almost winter and it was like 40 degrees outside the day this happened so I don't think the radiator could get that hot as soon as I turned the car on???

I am starting to think its a problem with the battery not getting charged... oh well I'm still waiting for some advice/input on my other post in this forum... but thought I'd add my thoughts to yours. Let me know what you hear (when you do) from Nate!

Bronze Member
Username: Kickdoor

Post Number: 66
yeah i heard alot of people got f^cked up alts from nate theyre not durable and they run very hot thats what turned me away from nate and went with dom at irragi:-) never had a single problem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1358
Nate told me to send it back to him... still haven't probably should jump on that.

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 56
you guys should also check the thermostat in your cars it could or very well cause problems

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 57
what size wire is going to the battry from the alt?
if its a little factory wire change it to 4 gauge or higher also change the grounds as well this help with the flow of current

Username: Bobid77

Post Number: 2
Check all of your ground wires and that they are of proper gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us