Amp stopped working, nothing changed..

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Post Number: 54
I have a Kenwood KAC-9152D

I've had it for about 10 months, its workt perfectly from day 1.

I have it wired to 4ohms, so it's stable...

I checked my ground, and my power connection, and even tried a new grounding spot. The fuses on the amp are not blown, nor is my battery-to-amp fuse. My remote wire is fine also, everything is fine, the amp doesnt turn on.

The only thing i haven't checkt is pulling the head unit out to see if my remote wire came undone or something... sigh... i dont even know.

Anything i missed? Im just about to return the amp, as its still under warranty, however, i don't want the same amp if its just going to do this again... I know kenwood isnt the best, but i think their amps are pretty true :/

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1083
the amps just prolly worn out.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 584
Kenwood Excelon makes great amps.. Kenwood (standard) makes OK amps..

The amp probably blew a resistor/transistor.. it's very common in car amps, especially if left alone for a long period of time a the same impediance (the power always running through the same ohm load will wear down the corrosponding resistor quicker than if you swapped out different voice coil configurations to read different ohm loads, such as 2 ohms, 1 ohm, 4 ohms, 8 ohms etc).

Send it in, but don't expect it back for a couple of months. . . and actually, I'd bring it to a local authorized shop so you can drop it off and pick it up yourself and check on it's status every few days.. keep on them about it and get it back sooner :-) (but don't bug them all the time, that's a d!ck thing to do)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2522
^^^kenwood excelon makes great amps" are you crazy, kenwood makes crappy amps, kenwood excelon makes average amplifiers. They're expensive for what they do and their power supply sucks...

Bronze Member
Username: Elmagico

Post Number: 34
you blew the main capacitor ill charge $60 bucks to fix if its not under warranty if it is send it in.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 973
"They're expensive for what they do and their power supply sucks..."
True that,I have a X811D and it was in the shop 3 times this year, Now the piece of crap wont turn off, I have a curcuit breaker to turn it off at night.
In the repair shop was three other kenwoods all suffering from bad power supplies. And kenwood doesnt sell repair parts to un-otherized repair shops, My X811D is running caps from old tv sets in it. I would not buy Kenwood again, and plan on ditching this one soon.

Anyway, If its under warranty, sent it in, get it repaired/replaced and sell it as Factory referb, then get something decent.

Bronze Member

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 65
k, i think my amp is done, or is it?

heres what its doing:

the amp does not turn on with the headunit, the only time i can get the amp to come on is when i run the wire from the 12volt to the remote input on the amp, and when i do that, the amp comes on but then the power light fades away in about 10 seconds until its off again... almost as if it gets power, but cant hold it or something????

is this common in these pos kenwood amps or is mine *specially* bad...lol i got it under warranty and i emailed the company today, ill see what they say, i think im going to try n get them to refund my money instead of a new amp...lol who knows.

anyone have an idea as to whats going on?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 974
put a meter on the 12 volt feed and see if it is constant, maybe the feed is losing power somehow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
i dont have a meter with me, im away at college right now so all my crap is back at home...

but anyways what would cause a power wire to not have a constant feed...

ive tried everything even cleaning off my batt terminals and crap, batt-to-amp fuse looks fine, will it be broken if its blown? cut it looks clean, bahhhhh just want to be able to say this amp is fine when i rip some kid off at my old highschool :X lol

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 625
juliob...

I've owned plenty of kenwood excelon amps to vouche for their quality. I never said they were the best, but for 200 dollars shipped you get a great amp.

Just out of curiousity... which kenwood amps have you owned? I'm guessing one, at the most... and it was used when you got it therefor not in great shape and it didn't last long because it was abused before hand.

I got 2 out of 3 brand new, my first was from a pawn shop and was stolen from me shortly after purchasing it... the others were brand new retail with an employee discount. I owned them long enough to know they're worth the money paid. Retail the 810d was 699, not worth that.. but on ebay it's around 200 shipped.

.. and no, I'm not crazy :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 30
The problem you're describing sounds like a cap leak...pretty much what eric vargas said. Don't know anything about the amp itself, but the power light fading after a few seconds would lead me to look at the caps or possibly check the pwr inductors and see if you have one of the traces comming off the board at one of the solder joints.

BoL

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2554
mick you're judging me and i haven't said nothing. All the kenwood amps i've seen on stores are having problems with their power supply, and you saw a post^^^^ over there talking about the same problem. Even for the budget i'd go with hifonics, PA, audiobahn and some lanzar models.

I think that kenwood is expensive for what it does, 200$ for an amp with power supply problem is not good at all. Their high end models are expensive and average, nothing great.

I own a lanzar vibe 1800d (1200-1400w rms at 1 ohm) for only 145$ with 1 year warranty. I'd rather buy a lanzar than a kenwoo on this case, don't you think?

Just my 2 cents

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
so is my amp toast... since the only way it comes on is if u touch the 12volt to the remote, and even then it only has power for about ten seconds...?

this blows i emailed the company i got it from and they havent responded, boooooooooooo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
So my amp is toast?

i just wanna be able to sell it and get some money back lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us